FBI investigating Denver cops who erased citizen video of beatdown

The Cloud FTW!

There are some use cases where the Holy Cloud is actually beneficial.

Will a grand jury let these clowns walk? Of course, lady liberty is blind to justice.

Though sometimes you have to destroy a witness. Fear they might hurt you can change to fear over getting caught for what you did to a civilian, pretty quick.

How many steps is it from destroying evidence to murder?

1 Like

Indicates to me that it’s training.

3 Likes

One panicked overreaction.

I am in favor of relatively weak punishments - but way way before things escalate to beatdowns and murders. Weak, but early enough to eliminate the troublemaker from the workforce (or neutralizing by assigning to paperwork duty) before behavioral early warnings turn into meaningful misdeeds.

Strong punishments tend to make the perps panic and overreacts and make things even worse. Catch them early enough and divert from the badness-escalating path.

And, in case of cops, make sure they have enough contacts with the non-perps population that they are aware that not everybody is a bad guy. Bring back Officer Friendly.

2 Likes

In other threads, I have advocated that every officer be cycled out of “street” duty for 1 month out of 4. They get put on kitten-and-puppy petting duty, or something like that.

The ones who object to that duty as not being worthy of their time are given their pink slip.

4 Likes

This sounds like a good idea. Something that breaks their perception of other people as The Enemy, to get them more in contact with the common relatively trustworthy people. I am not sure if they wouldn’t need the mix to be in the opposite, 1 month in cop duty vs 3 of “softer” deployment, or 1:1. Maybe 1 week of 4 instead of months. The other kind of job being something where the other parts of the same training can be handy; perhaps paramedic, nonconfrontational form of rescue, elderly assistance… something peaceful, nonconfrontational and and non-adrenaline and with lots of nice-people contact.

And possibly within the same community, so when they meet that local troublemaker as a cop they already met him a number of time in less- or no-troublemaker contexts and know he’s pretty much a no-threat, and if he runs let him go and then pluck him out from his mom’s basement the next day at 8 am.

2 Likes

You’re talking sense here!

I think this, paradoxically, is where you would get the biggest pushback.

But I absolutely support putting them on duty as paramedics and/or firemen.

“Adrenaline junkies”, those who thrive in car chases and enjoy forced entries, are those who will jump to a chance of a chase even when not needed and come up with excuses for forced entries, possibly up to the level of a SWAT raid to deliver a court summon.

Those should be better to be kept in another job. Perhaps in the one single and well-trained regional SWAT team that can be helicoptered to any place in the county within half hour if that rare once-in-years situation when they are needed happens. Or in speedboat racing.

1 Like

Another great laugh!

I recall seeing, a long, LONG time ago, back when ABC’s Wide World of Sports was a thing, a segment on offshore powerboat racing.

At one point, one of the color-commentators described it thusly:

I guess the reason this reply is relevant to this thread is that it goes toward supporting the notion that adrenaline junkies will do just about anything for their “fix” and when those adrenaline junkies are also authoritarian control freaks, then we have a really dangerous person.

The process you’ve posed would help sort them out :thumbsup:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.