FBI investigating Denver cops who erased citizen video of beatdown

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Pics or it didnĀ“t happ ā€¦ no, wait.

17 Likes

If it turns out as described in the article, those cops need to be crucified (metaphorically speaking) as an example to others of their kind.

Delete a video of your misdeeds, and the consequences are amplified threefold!

14 Likes

And the way they said ā€œCamera!ā€ makes me think of how soldiers communicate on the battlefieldā€“terse, threat identification, no extraneous details. Itā€™s not just the toys from the Pentagon that makes these fellows militerizedā€“itā€™s the mindset as well.

16 Likes

BB returns to its roots: a Wonderful Thing indeed.

5 Likes

Iā€™m all for efficient communication(and, in fairness, would note that most professions with time-sensitive periods have at least some terse jargon to deal with those); but the fact that ā€˜cameraā€™ has a terse threat alert signal in the same way that ā€˜gun!ā€™ does strikes me as a very, very, bad thing.

Surely our boys in blue have no reason to be worried about cameras, since they are definitely on the up and up?

In other rhetorical questions, what laughably weak lesser synonym for ā€˜destruction of evidenceā€™ will they end up being charged with because they arenā€™t little people?

18 Likes

Maybe something like:

1 Like

ā€œDestruction of evidenceā€ is a serious crime.

3 Likes

That was the point that I was reaching for myself. I just didnā€™t phrase it as clearly or directly as you did. Thanks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The answer is multiple cameras.

One can fail. Barring an EMP, seven failing simultaneously would pretty clearly prove a conspiracy. 4 on each car, two on each officer (front and rear), one on each pistol and long gun, one on each dog.

1 Like

Because why would you mind, if you have nothing to hide, Officer Friendly?

5 Likes

Can I buy EMP futures? I foresee several surprisingly localized EMP events directed at law enforcement in the near future.

1 Like

Since they didnā€™t succeed in destroying the evidence, I wonder whether ā€œattempted destruction of evidenceā€ is considered a crime. Certainly their attorney (in the vanishingly-unlikely case that they are indicted) would argue that they didnā€™t destroy any evidence.

In any case, all of this should make it more and more important for video apps to have a ā€œstart streaming to the cloud NOW!ā€ button.

4 Likes

You donā€™t have to destroy all the evidence to be guilty of destroying evidence.

9 Likes

from the articleā€“

ā€œDenver Police Cmdr. Matt Murray said the department will review Frasierā€™s claims and if disciplinary action is warranted, the department will be transparent and let the public know.ā€

anybody want to start a betting pool on how thatā€™s going to turn out?

5 Likes

Iā€™ve tried some apps that were recommended for streaming to the cloud but never found one that doesnā€™t feel super sketchy and unreliable.

Iā€™m hopeful that iOS and Android will start doing this natively, in the background, more reliably. This article indicates that we may be getting there.

In the meantime undelete functionality would be a useful thing to be able to enable. With the amount of extra storage most devices have today thereā€™s no reason not to allow this.

1 Like

Translation: ā€œIf we absolutely canā€™t sweep this under the rug, weā€™ll ā€˜punishā€™ the officers with some paid time off and sternly worded letters that will be mysteriously lost from their files. Weā€™ll inform the public with a Friday afternoon press release.ā€

6 Likes

Google does, at least on Android, if you have the auto-backup for photos and videos enabled. All my stuff on my phone or my tablet automatically goes to the cloud.

1 Like

Delete a video of your misdeeds, and the consequences are amplified threefold!

Zero times three is still zero.

2 Likes

Itā€™s very telling. Shouting camera and getting an immediate response from your co-conspirators indicates to me that itā€™s common.

7 Likes