FBI tells tech companies offering encryption to reconsider “their business model”

Yeah, it would be just terrible if the FBI had to resort to traditional and legal police practices.

7 Likes

That’s funny. “Child molesters” is another favorite bogeyman for the FBI to roll out when they are trying to crack down on crypto. Comey’s tag teaming with Feinstein and she’s banging that drum this time around. Same old shit, different decade.

2 Likes

James Comey can take a long walk off a short pier with some very nice cement overshoes.

1 Like

One of today’s quote’s I got in my daily email from quotes.liberty-tree seems to fit quite well all the fear mongering that James Comey has going on.

“Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear -­
kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervour ­-
with the cry of grave national emergency. Always, there has been some terrible evil at home,
or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by
furnishing the exorbitant sums demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real.”
– General Douglas MacArthur
(1880-1964) WWII Supreme Allied Commander of the Southwest Pacific, Supreme United Nations Commander 1957
Source: Whan, ed. “A Soldier Speaks: Public Papers and Speeches of General of the Army Douglas MacArthur,” (1965); Nation, August 17, 1957

2 Likes

How can we plant incriminating evidence on people’s devices if we can’t even mount their encrypted storage volumes?

don’t know if they really do this, but the analogy with the drug war is obvious

3 Likes

Or Idiocracy.

1 Like

I thought the I in FBI was for investigation, not ‘do our work for us so we can copy and paste this terror warrant together because sharia law brown people boogity’.

2 Likes

And of course, the fact that child molesters may be able to compromise kids’ phones more easily via backdoored crypto and use that access to more easily abduct or abuse them (by accessing photos, location services, etc.) never comes up.

2 Likes

Nope.

I think the American People Nope Squared this.

GTFO of my business.

I’d rather have a little insecurity from time-to-time with an alert populace at hand, than a police state, please. Thank you in advance.

4 Likes

End-to-End Encryption isn’t just part of the business model for most of the companies that do it, it IS the business model. Doing end-to-end encryption well is hard, and it makes it hard to provide other profitable services, such as keyword-relevant advertising in your email, or backup-password-if-you-forgot-yours storage, or things like Evernote which convert data formats for you, such as OCRing that photo of your handwritten notes into text, or converting your voice messages into email, or reading your email over the phone.

It’s a business model that’s become especially interesting (where “business” includes open-source free software) because of Snowden, and the Sony hack, and the fact that everybody’s moving services into various clouds where their traditional security assumptions don’t hold.

And Comey’s using terrorism as an excuse again, but wiretaps are primarily about the War On Drugs, and secondarily about illegal gambling, and anything else is small potatoes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.