FDA: stop eating Nyquil-fried Chicken

I have to use acetaminophen for pain relief for a few months because I had surgery recently. Ibuprofen is what I prefer and will go back to in another month. My best painkiller is coffee, that wonderful caffeine hit. It no longer keeps me awake (damn!) and minimizes various body aches. My doctor says it’s easier on my stomach than aspirin or ibuprofen too.

9 Likes

Quaailude is a funnier concept than it has any right to be.

18 Likes

In the UK, you often see “co-codamol”, a cocktail of acetaminophen and codeine which I think may even be available over the counter. Given that the acetaminophen seems superfluous for pain relief, I’ve often wondered if it‘s just to prevent codeine abuse, which would be quite dark. (People in the UK are fairly aware that paracetamol is dangerous since, like most things, it has been the subject of media safety panics)

4 Likes

What is with people wanting to use Nyquil as an ingredient in food? Voodoo Doughnuts sold a Nyquil-glazed variety until the FDA made them stop. Maybe they need to make Nyquil cloudy, dingy brown instead of that tantilizing transparent gem-like blue-green.

8 Likes

So no frying the earth in NyQuil either?

7 Likes

And the pearl-clutching for this non-extant thing:

7 Likes

Fried bats in hydroxychloroquine though :man_cook: :pinched_fingers:

5 Likes

My mother is an RN who spent 15 years managing an ER.

She doesn’t allow Tylenol in the house.

8 Likes

Maybe it’s a messaging problem and we need a few stories like this:

A recent social media video challenge encourages people to burn massive amounts of fossil fuels. The challenge sounds silly - and it is. But it is also very unsafe. Burning fossil fuels releases carbon into the atmosphere and changes the climate in a variety of ways. Even if it doesn’t get unliveablely hot in your area, the knock-on effects could cause massive wildfires, floods, famines and assorted other extreme weather events. And because the atmospheric carbon builds up slowly, put simply: We could produce a dangerously high amount of it without even realising before it’s almost too late.
Scientists say these TikTok teens need to pull their socks up, and start using renewable energy sources like sensible adults.

15 Likes

Meathead at amazingribs.com does a thorough debunking of beer-can chicken.

4 Likes

I had to look.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1673135/the-secret-joojoo-behind-voodoo-doughnuts

Wow. Sorry they never succeded. I think.

4 Likes

Maybe the taste is nostalgic for some people

… And suddenly the memory returns. The taste was that of the little crumb of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because on those mornings I did not go out before church-time), when I went to say good day to her in her bedroom, my aunt Léonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of real or of lime-flower tea.

I have no such memories, fond or otherwise of Nyquil . And robutussin is nasty.

5 Likes

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

10 Likes

I’ve never had it except in capsule form, so I have no idea what it tastes like. As a kid I always had robutussin instead, and it was incredibly nasty for sure. Of course, I’m sure Tide Pods don’t taste great either…

2 Likes

(Imagine caps lock on…)

“I hear dem kids are makin’ jenkem chicken!
It’s all over the tick talk!” /s

1 Like

5 Likes

Idiots who can’t be separated from their Fuckbook and Fauxnews FUD feeds. :frowning:

@bobtato: acetaminophen in opioids is there to intentionally ruin your liver. I’m saddened to learn this is a thing outside of the ever-puritanical US, where this mixture is, indeed, intended to curb addiction. It’s unethical IMO. I’m also one of the not-so-rare people for whom acetaminophen does fuckall for beyond harming my liver. (Not that opioids do much for me, either, but you don’t feel pain when you’re asleep, so I guess that’s all opioids have going for them?)

@jerwin: This drug sounded…interesting, but I am too young to have possibly gained access to it. This ad, though, looks like a pile of lies compared to experiences shared with me by older folks who did have access to this drug. The depiction in Wolf of Wall Street was pretty close to what I heard from that older cohort.

10 Likes

Since that movie, it’s come out that some really horrible people used it as rape drug, so the idea that it could be interesting is a harder sale.

4 Likes

Not everyone can take NSAIDs. Unfortunately, that leaves acetaminophen as the only OTC analgesic.

9 Likes

I used to use Ibuprofen but then I had auto immune kidney problems and my doctor made me switch to Tylenol.

7 Likes