FDA warns against using corrosive "black salve" — a deadly cure-all that's disfiguring lives

Just thinking of a particular famous guy who was in to woo vs. cancer. I wonder if 'ol Stevo Jobs would have tried this.
Bloodroot is the first flower to come up in my yard in spring. It’s a pretty little white flower with very distinctive leaves that persist throughout the summer. After I first identified it I read up on it and quickly abandoned the thought of trying to propagate it further by root splitting. Nasty stuff that you really do not want on your skin. I like them in my yard, not in my salve.

4 Likes

Season 6 What GIF by Paramount+

No do not want!!

4 Likes

WTAF?!?!?!

I mean, I have liquid borax in the house… as ant poison.

5 Likes

… it’s great for Morgellons Disease /s

5 Likes

Lord Dampnut is the political equivalent of black salve.

Prison first, then hell.

7 Likes

Careful, you’ll offend someone with un-approved talk like that.

Now remember, folks, there is no such thing as reality. Emotions are truth, and “progress” must be denied at all costs, lest someone say the present is better than the past or other such heresy.

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard that episode yet, so I went looking for it. Its actually from April of 2020 for anyone looking for it in the BTB archives.

2 Likes

Orac has written extensively about this:

2 Likes

This one always gets me. If your quack remedy came within a country mile of helping anyone, Big Pharma wouldn’t suppress it, they’d steal it. And rest assured they’d make plenty of money. Why do you think they put so much work into rigging the regulatory and IP landscape?

Big Pharma steals ideas and patents natural substances all the time. If they haven’t stolen your “cure”, that’s only because it doesn’t work.

11 Likes

Rephrasing your comment the way we usually use it, “You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.” Pithy but true. Pharma can always take a natural substance and purify it, modify it or develop a new delivery system and patent it for profitability. In fact, the majority of the “unnatural medicines from Big Pharma” followed exactly this route. Does not address the fact that it also multiplies the cost of said medicine many, many times, but that is a different topic.

12 Likes
7 Likes

Against solid faith there is no reason and facts strong enough. I remember that same type of justification was used to defend chloroquine during the height of the pandemic. The chlorochiners said that the Big Pharma Illuminati were against it because the miracle drug was already patented and cheap, thus preventing the drug companies from profiting.

What these crazy people don’t even want to know was that the companies that made chloroquine sold these pills like never before and their shares appreciated too much on the stock exchanges. So many deluded people bought medicine against malaria without the slightest need, that there was a shortage in the Amazon region.

Those who suffered the most from this drug fever were Brazilian natives and those fighting Lupus.

5 Likes

“Alex Jones perfected the grift of selling snake-oil supplements and prepper kit to the libertarian right wing via his conspiracy theory media channels,” Knight says. “But it was Covid that led to the most direct connections between far-right conspiracism and wellness cultures. The measures introduced to curb the pandemic were viewed as attacks on individual sovereignty, which is the core value of both the wellness and libertarian/‘alt-right’ conspiracy communities.”

Obligatory:

8 Likes

… “Barbie” and “G.I. Joe” for grown-ups?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.