February 5 is officially International Clash Day on KEXP

Originally published at: February 5 is officially International Clash Day on KEXP | Boing Boing

8 Likes

punk rock GIF

Cool!

16 Likes
11 Likes

Fun fact - this song is about Viv Albertine of the Slits, after she Mick Jones broke up…

12 Likes

Everyday is officially International Clash Day @ Papasan’s ranch.

12 Likes

I am so proud that our little local alt rock college station has via the internet become a gift to the world.

10 Likes
7 Likes

1982? Why that’s only… 20… um… 30… yikes! Almost 40 years ago! :older_man:

11 Likes

Yeah, let’s not think about it and imagine it’s only like it was only just yesterday.

7 Likes

When I first heard this song in middle school, I didn’t know how to feel about it — you weren’t “supposed to” talk about race! As an adult, I’ve come to realize its scathing brilliance (even IF some white supremacist asshats have gotten the wrong idea from it).

3 Likes

You mean the late 1900s?

3 Likes

Also Welsh Language Music Day (I only just discovered)

And for Clash Day

5 Likes

If only everyone could have a big, quiet, stylish, loyal, gap-toothed friend like Paul Simonon…

5 Likes

Could someone explain me how an anti-fascism band does an anti-muslim music like Rock the Casbah?

You could just listen to the lyrics.

The song is about restrictions placed on listening to music.

6 Likes

I recently read Marcus Gray’s Route 19 Revisited about the making of London Calling and can thoroughly recommend it. It’s a lengthy book but a very interesting read.

2 Likes

Thanks. I don’t have that one, but I do have Return of the Last Gang in Town, which I need to give a re-read soon.

2 Likes

I’ve not read that one - I’ll check it out.

@thomdunn - thanks for the tip-off! I’m listening to KEXP online and it’s really brightened up my Friday :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a classic and I think considered pretty authoritative on the history of the band. It’s also Marcus Gray and there are a couple of editions (I have the second).

1 Like

Why Sharif? Why not The Queen don’t like it? Bomb The Castle!