Fed up with the job search, a software engineer created a ridiculous fake resume and got a 90% response rate

My SO applied for a position about a month ago that would be directing a major process that he actually created and wrote several years ago. He was turned down because he’s not currently doing the exact thing that he’s applying for (and neither is anyone else, because it took this many years for the .gov to implement). Sooooo, yeah; he hit that very same HR AI wall.

12 Likes

I’ve honestly never had a job where I didn’t have a connection at the company first or made my own in the same way you outlined above.

6 Likes

And Myers-Briggs is bullshit. What the hell “gamified” Myers-Briggs does is beyond even bothering to think about.

9 Likes

The impression I got is it makes it easier to sell to large companies as something new and techy.

5 Likes

From the hiring side in our organization, that’s a lot of it. There’s always an open-call section of any big meeting where people ask each other for referrals.

I’ve recently been asked “What do we really need for skills for this new hire” from the admin team conducting searches, and it is tough. We recently hired someone who had deep experience doing software rollouts and QA for the MTA (NYC subway and commuter trains). She was on our “B team” list for callbacks, but her interview was so great we re-wrote the job description and hired her. She’s great!

10 Likes

Well, given that M-B is getting on for around 100 years old, I assume it’s the gamifying that turns on the fuckwits who think they need something new and techie for the ancient and not really changing so much art of recruiting people with some intent of getting a vaguely round peg in their hypothetically perfectly circular hole.

Once upon a time it was ‘staff management’ and then ‘personnel management. Then it was called HR but it was at least still about the “humans”. Nowadays it’s about “assets” and combining this with tech companies’ fixed ideas that everything must be techified (and gamified) leads to recruitment processes that have no interest in the humans being recruited.

3 Likes

To be fair, they’d toss us over for robots in an INSTANT.

7 Likes

I think there is an old southern phrase along those lines:

“Suh, If I don-a laugh, I is surely gonna cry.”

Yeah. I had passion for my job, right until the micro-managing [redacted, censored] of a manager abused it almost completely out of me, and it still gets me in trouble every now and again. You want passion from me? PAY ME WHAT I’M WORTH.

And internships, where you are supposed to be learning the trade- they want you coming in with experience already… for an internship. (I saw this legendary rant the other day along these lines of why companies don’t bother training people (or paying them well enough for the workers to pay down on the education/training for the job), which results in high turnover rates and low employment numbers because surprise! NO ONE WANTS TO PAY TO WORK SOMEWHERE.

Well, yeah- you only have to pay for the robots once, you can (verbally) abuse them all you like, and they’ll keep right on working 24/7… until they break down, at which you you hope that the service contract is still being paid on it.

6 Likes

I believe you forgot the obligatory “/s”.

1 Like

May as well laugh, it’s going to crush us all into a fine powder either way. As @GyroMagician so rightfully points out, if I wasn’t laughing over it, I’d be crying. Since I’m going to be killed anyway, I’m doing it spouting sarcasm.

4 Likes

Sad GIF

3 Likes

Oh, to be sure, it may be a bitter laugh. Apparently it’s just the way my brain is wired and I don’t expect it to be true for others, although it does seem to be for some. I’ve been in a situation where I was actually afraid for my life, massive amounts of pain that I had no immediate hope would end, that kind of thing. Yeah, I was laughing during it. There were people in that ER that seemed convinced I must be high or just there for attention or something. The doctor that finally saw me didn’t question it at all, as she’d seen it happen with others. I may be a weirdo, but ultimately I’m not alone.

As for the job search … I hope they were at least getting job inquiries remotely connected to software engineering. I was seeking an IT support position, as I wanted to transition away from creating yet another website that absolutely no one needs (and I only cared about because I was getting paid.) So of course almost daily I was getting calls for insurance sales, tutoring (which required both a 1400 km move and that I be able to speak French. Um …?), and a few offers that were actually in tech support, but I needed to be able to start immediately and accept a two hour each way commute. Amazingly few of the recruiters were understanding why I wasn’t finding these offers less than acceptable. For the last one, which I actually got contacted about several times, I finally started saying “Sure, $250 an hour, travel time to be included.” They eventually stopped contacting me.

5 Likes

Well it’s been 9 years, but in hindsight I’d also suggest that it’s naive to assume that they don’t. I put something on mine about having been involved with CMMI. That was sufficient for someone who did notice, so that (after I was hired) I briefly had a side project herding proverbial cats.

Best Friends Hug GIF

3 Likes

Well, I think this experiment demonstrates specifically which companies don’t actually have humans read resumes - or at the very least have their resumes parsed by people who don’t understand what they’re reading.

3 Likes

A warning sign not to work there? :wink:

7 Likes

IMHO the worse term is “resource” ugh, we seem to want to frget the these human beings are individuals and not interchangeable cogs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.