Feds ban humor on electronic highway signs

Oddly, I grew up with the notion that people learn to ignore mundane signs, so you have to give them something to think about in order to make an impact.

2 Likes

TIL about Smokey’s ancestors.

Clever. Firebug backwards.

I prefer the surrealist interpretation.

Guberif, be a Dont.

3 Likes

Merrrica´, where a 20 years old can buy an assault rifle but cannot buy a beer.

Animated GIF

3 Likes

The President’s home state will not be complying.

3 Likes

Nor Minnesota.

Worth noting that states have two years to comply. I wonder if they’ll start complying at the end of the two years?

States such as Minnesota have two years to comply with the changes included in the 1,100-page manual, which sets national standards for use of traffic control devices, including changeable message boards. The revised manual was updated last month and goes into effect Thursday.

Despite the order from Washington, MnDOT says it will still be business as usual, and the practice of displaying weekly pithy traffic safety messages on overhead and roadside digital signs will continue.

2 Likes

I first saw Delaware’s signs on a house-hunting trip here last year. “Drive hammered, get nailed!” I love the sense of humor, and it’s memorable. I don’t see the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.