Feds ban humor on electronic highway signs

Originally published at: Feds ban humor on electronic highway signs - Boing Boing

4 Likes

Some conservative somewhere is going to be mad. The irony being that conservatives don’t realize all good humour is created by liberals.

17 Likes

18 Likes

“We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we’re aware of.”

23 Likes

Any ban on road-side advertising and 30 foot billboards?

11 Likes

Yes, in Vermont and Maine. Both states are beautiful, come visit (also Alaska and Hawaii, but those states are further away, but I hear they’re nice, too).

10 Likes

Interesting that, as I recall, states have banned billboards more for detracting from natural beauty than for – as with the humorous drive-safely messages – distracting drivers.

But then, natural beauty and wonders also distract drivers, no? :thinking:

4 Likes

Well, on the highway at least in Maine, it’s not really what you’d call distracting scenic views for the most part. Lots and lots of trees. Lots of trees. So, so, sooooo many trees. There’s not a lot of places where there are views of mountains or lakes or the ocean unless you get off the highway onto the secondary roads where speeds are slower.

3 Likes

Tell me more
|
San Diego Eating GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance

11 Likes

Nothing humorous about this:

2 Likes

Whose to say if they can?

Perhaps soon federal agencies won’t have any teeth at all.

No humor in that at all.

2 Likes

Dumb in some ways, but frankly I do find some of those messages actually distracting. If I’m in a state long enough, I know what to expect to see on the signs and can gloss over it. In a new state, I can’t do that, and I expect those electronic signs to usually have significant near-term importance. So, I try to read and interpret them. I expect things like ‘lane closed ahead,’ or ‘detour,’ etc. If they’re trying to be clever, and especially if I need to look long enough to see multiple screens of text, before I’m sure of that, that’s not great.

1 Like

and yet having screens INSIDE cars, with TV or movies on while driving? somehow TOTALLY FINE.

4 Likes

The thing is not everyone can read that fast let alone not be distracted by trying to figure out a joke/meme while driving at the same time. I can totally see why they want to use these boards for exclusively pertinent information.

1 Like

If memory serves, there are two short stretches of I-95 (north of Bangor) where you can see Mt. Katahdin if the weather is kind. Which, given the nature of the view the rest of the time, is kind of exciting!
DSCF0071-close-1683652182

100% correct, which is why I tried to quality with the “for the most part” phrase. It’s also the only place I’ve seen on the east coast with a speed limit of 75, which is nice given it’s a long, long drive to anywhere once you’re there.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve found them distracting but the sense of humor for the ones I’ve seen is severely impaired. I generally didn’t get the joke.

I would think funny would be better - you’re more likely to remember them.

Burma-Shave!

6 Likes

Just ban the signs. They cause more traffic jams (and thus accidents) than they solve.

2 Likes