Feedback on our interactive Markdown tutorial

Hurrah, I learned some stuff!

The code section confused me a little with the spaces and ticks, but other than that, it was pretty easy to follow.

2 Likes

Perhaps keep the explanatory text visible for the challenges?

@codinghorror
I assume the differences in discourse and the feature in the tutorial we be tried up some time Iā€™m the future. Last I checked:

1. One
  2. Two

Didnā€™t work here.

Second, all of the tutorials were straightforward except the last one. The instruction indentations werenā€™t a clear requirement to my eye in the five seconds I worked on it :slight_smile:

And on my phone emojis still arenā€™t tooltipping properly.

Edit

I swear to FSM a week ago ordered lists didnā€™t work. Am I losing my mind?

1 Like

The first exercise in Images was troublesome for me. The instruction on the intro page didnā€™t indicate that the first bracketed portion was required, and so I kept trying to place the image URL in a solitary bracket.

The idea is that youā€™d use the ā€œā† backā€ button to get back to the instructions and brush up on the syntax as you work through each exercise. I am a bit loath to put the actual syntax example right there on the page right beside the exercise, feels a bit like putting the answer on the testā€¦ cc @daneel

I improved the math exercise instructions per your suggestion.

As mentioned above if you scroll upā€¦

Ah good point I added a clarification there.

2 Likes

Well, thatā€™s why I suggested a ā€œhintā€ button, so the syntax example would be hidden until/unless you wanted to consult it. But, fair enough.

Iā€™ll release it as CC-BY-SA. Iā€™m fine with you using it, as long as everyone knows who the original idiot is.

ā€¦

On second thought, just use it without the attribution. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You seem to have changed emoticon entry, such that itā€™s no longer possible to enter emoticons the same way from the keyboard? Was this intentional? @codinghorror

I did find it pretty clear and easy to follow and canā€™t think of anything to improve off the top of my head. I can go through it again and let you know, though. I assume that this is more people like me who arenā€™t familiar with writing code, right?

Yes it is for ā€œanyoneā€ ā€“ anyone willing to type characters in a box on the Internet and press Submit, anyway :wink:

What are you talking about @ratman and how does it relate to the tutorial?

1 Like

On the first item, the big red plusses seemed to be grabbing my attentionā€¦ so I clicked on them until they went away. then I clicked some more. reloaded the page. clicked. went backward, went forwards. clicked around, until I realized I was supposed to be clicking the sedate blue lozenge on the left.

Indentation for lists did not seem to be covered in the review, and I get the feeling there were a few other things that were exercises also not covered in the review, but I do not recall right now.

When on the first post-review exercise, itā€™s easy enough to go back to the review. But when on the second or third itā€™s a nuisance.

Yes, definitely covered, sounds like you did not reach the last exercise?

Edit: idea, after punching all the red plus buttons we could make the blue next button pulsate for attention?

1 Like

Ok just for you, after making all the red interest points complete, we change the ā€œTry itā€ button to a nice, urgent, red too:

hmm I should do this for the ā€œnext exercise ā†’ā€ button after achieving success on an exercise, tooā€¦ let me make it so

2 Likes

Iā€™mā€¦ uncomfortable with markdown. But thatā€™s just because I learned HTML first. As a tutorial, itā€™s great, simple, does as it says on the tin.

Iā€™m just glad I can use my dumb HTML3 tags to make stuff bold, italic, and to post links and .

although I have gotten some use out of the [spoiler] markdown.

Typically, I use the whack to escape out of a tag if I want it displayed as text, is that going to cause problems?

Generally it is less effort to type Markdown which is kind of the point:

what the <i>hell</i> are you guys talking about
what the *hell* are you guys talking about

I love <a href="http://zombo.com">this website</a>
I love [this website](http://zombo.com)

etcetera, but the safe HTML tags are certainly supported and always will be.

2 Likes

The scrollbar in the results box (the right hand box) is not working for me. Canā€™t see everything that Iā€™m doing.

Can you provide a screenshot of your browser?

1 Like

Thanks, I see the issueā€¦ some of you people are running with browser windows so vertically short (plus toolbars, etc, which eats vertical space) that we detect them as mobile devices :wink:

I added some better media queries which donā€™t automatically assume devices with min-height of < 700px are mobile devices. See if itā€™s better now.

We can blame phablets for this sad state of affairs! :iphone:

2 Likes

Okay, I see it now.

Like I said, it did not seem easy to go back and forth from exercise to overview. Since the overview is so much smaller than the exercises, perhaps it could be visible on the page, or toggled somehow?

Also, Iā€™m too used to indenting with only two spaces from GitHub, so that messed me up.

Iā€™ve also got a wide monitor, so things arenā€™t as close as they are in your mockup, there:

If we normally scan from left to right, once done with the pluses, Iā€™d keep scanning to the right, not go the left column.

Or, I wouldnā€™t. Maybe everybody else does.