Female komodo dragons don't need no man to make more dragons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/female-komodo-dragons-dont-n.html

6 Likes

Even komodo dragons are cute when they’re bebehs.

8 Likes

Big fat nemesis!

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to reproduce asexually for years with no luck.

12 Likes

It irks me when people say that birds, or other egg hatching animals were born, have a birthday, or ‘give birth’.
They hatch from eggs people, it’s a very normal process, stop your mammalianising of these creatures’ ways of life.

6 Likes

An anaconda did this at the New England Aquarium too:

5 Likes

Try using your other hand.

8 Likes

Do you want religions? Because this is how you get religions.

15 Likes

12 Likes

They have no use for bicycles either.

4 Likes

Its probably all for the best.

@mike.jane

It irks me when people say that birds, or other egg hatching animals were born, have a birthday, or ‘give birth’.

We hatch from eggs too.

5 Likes

Leaving the womb seems poetically akin to breaking out of the shell of an egg, too.

If we start getting into more detailed conversations with oviparous people, we’ll probably pick up some more precise terms for casual use.

2 Likes

This isn’t always the case with parthenogenesis, though- there are female-only species of salamander that have to mate with males of other species in order to produce offspring, even if the male’s genetic material is entirely discarded.

For a long time it was assumed that all female snakes similarly had WZ sex chromosomes, but when various boas and pythons parthenogenetically produced female offspring, it was discovered that this is not always the case, and that these species had XX/XY sex chromosomes.

6 Likes

(ahem) I have to use both hands, fella.

3 Likes

If we had oviparous people, abortion wouldn’t be an issue. Just leave the egg outside an orphanage and call it a day.

2 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.