Feminist Mad Max meme is an MRA’s nightmare

She didn’t have to ally with him. In fact he forces her to help him, initially.

Circumstances prevented either of them from getting rid of each other at first, and then they realized the obvious, that they were both highly capable and could work together to defeat a much stronger enemy and both reach their own goals (Max doesn’t really have a defined goal besides escaping).

It’s actually the opposite of what you suggest. He must ally with a woman to enable him to do anything.

5 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who was unfamiliar the the acronym “MRA”. Actually I’m just glad I was unfamiliar with it.

3 Likes

I’ve usually heard it as “Mens’ Rights Activist”, but keeping track of those guys’ terminology can be a full-time job, with how much it changes as “prominent” “intellectuals” and their self-made jargon come in and out of vogue in their group

Done with the bare minimum of dialogue which is the astonishing thing. It’s all about the furiosa/max meaningful glances…superb stuff.

But yeah, it’s absolutely in keeping with the max character, he just wants his stuff back and to get the hell out of there. Such a weird subversion of a protagonist really and has always been so. This is what i like about that Daily Beast article posted here not long ago that trashes the mansplaining going on around him supposedly being manipulated - he always was. Along with a myriad other factual errors which suggests they have never seen a mad max film.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you’re right.

I agree with the rest of your post, except for this (might be wearing my pedantry hat on this). I’d argue his one goal is survival–I believe, but don’t recall exactly, that he made that statement in the opening monologue, just prior to his uh…noon-ish snack.

Astonishing and beautiful. They parry and thrust, see-sawing back and forth, all the while (I would think) gaining respect for each other until they reach the reluctant partner stage…really just phenomenal stuff.

Wut wuuuut? An action flick that can show off outstanding dialogue and filmmaking? Say it ain’t so!

I think it’s to escape the world. Survival would be easy after they all won, but Max went back out into the waste.

1 Like

Going back to see it again this weekend, and I’ll be listening extra-carefully to the opening monologue for clues to that quandary.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.