Fermenting

miso jelly! that will go great with the umeboshi plum butter.

4 Likes

your ferments look fabulous!

i donā€™t think i could have limited myself to 2 cloves of garlic though, i love garlic and always sneak in extra. :slight_smile: same with the spicy, i love spicy.

1 Like

I know!! :D. But my roomā€¦ 70 sq feet? Yeah, a little over three feet longer than I am on one direction, and I can touch both walls laying down on the other.

Iā€™m gonna have to get inventive. Ever tell you about the time I dug a root cellar?

1 Like

FUCKING HELL! I FORGOT TO BRING MY MISO PASTE!!!

Three pounds of dried kombu (yeah dawg, three pounds) and no miso!

5 Likes

Hm, your new landlords probably wouldnā€™t be too keen on you digging up the place, would they.

1 Like

Thanks! I wanted to keep this batch more basic, then see if I can get a little more inventive on the next one. Carrots, a head of garlic, onions and ā€¦ ?

Meanwhile, Iā€™m eyeballing the ginger root I just bought and wondering what to do with it.

1 Like

Donā€™t let it to waste.
But if that seems to be happening, make honey ginger ā€˜aleā€™.

For 1.5 liter (soda bottles over here, change measurements for size over there).

• 1 bottle
  • 1 lemon (juice of, I like also some zest added)
  • 2 thumb size pieces finely gridded (?? grinded?) ginger root
  • 200 grams honey (or if to expensive 100 gr sugar, 100 gr honey)
  • 0.2 gram dried yeast (bread type, or if you can lay your hands on it champagne or cider yeast)
  • 1.5 liter luke warm water

Put it all together and leave at room temp for at least 12 hours, at most 48 before cooling. And drinking. Itā€™s not a beverage you can keep.

5 Likes

Yum, Iā€™ll take a big glass of that ale!!! :slightly_smiling:

You could alternatively make a ginger Tepache! Tepache is one of the easier and quicker fermented drinks to make and is very yummy! If you like kombucha and you like pineapple juice then Tepache is right up your alley.

It is also a beverage that doesnā€™t keep, so drink up.

1 Like

That does sound great indeed. Thanks!

Would it work with Gula djawa?

Probably it will. Why not? :wink:
Oh my, the resolution to hold on the booze and beverages is going down.

5 Likes

yes, i usually use brown sugar (muscovado) or honey (manuka). Iā€™ve done it with extra pineapple juice and no added sugar as well. You just need to make sure it is sweet enough to give the natural yeasts and bacteria something to chow down on. (iā€™ve seen it made in Mexico with white sugar and vanilla)

It is a very easy very forgiving thing to make, iā€™ve never had it not turn out. I have let one batch get too strong though and had to mix it 1:4 with guava juice and second ferment for a day before i could drink it.

Tepache is to fruits what Kvass is to root veggiesā€¦both are excellent fermented probiotic drinks and worthy projects to expand ones fermenting repertoire!

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to it. Will report :wink:
Maybe a bit longer fermentation needed now, only 18 degrees celcius (in house) over here. And I imagine the yeasts on pineapple like warmer temps.

3 Likes

Looks like the carrots have grown a nice crop of kahm yeast on the bottom.

From everything Iā€™ve read, this is OK. I tried 'em a couple of days ago, and they tasted good, though a teensy little bit too clovey. Iā€™m going to try them again this afternoon and see if theyā€™re good to go.

2 Likes

I find it hard to get some flavors right, and in some case less is definitely more. Clove is tricky. Juniper berry is tricky. OTOH ā€œtoo much garlicā€ or onion never seems to be so problematic.

I am considering making various Indian pickles and relishes, fermented. Itā€™s time for me to pull all the Meyer lemons from one productive tree indoors, and I was thinking of making lemon pickle, akin to the Patakā€™s green mango pickle and the lime pickles I buy (yes, buy: argh).

The funny thing is, when I dig around in my cookbooks, I see a lot of salt, oils, vinegar (aha! fermented fluid!) etc. but no mention of the fermentation process itself.* So maybe green mango pickle and lime pickle are more preserve than pickle?

Coming late to this thread. Thanks, @monkeyoh for pointing it out to me. I am agog at all yā€™allā€™s projects!

*Some dietary rules in the Indian caste and religious systems rule out fermented foods as too rajasic to be good to eat. (A quick read of all the ā€œbadā€ foodsā€“rajasic and tamasicā€“pretty much sums up all the things I most like to eat. Oh dear. If I werenā€™t married to someone for whom all this matters a great deal, I wouldnā€™t be having to do this kind of figuring and tap-dancing. But.)

2 Likes

I cheaped out and got a bag of plain glass pebbles (the kind meant to be at the bottom of flower vases) for $1. I washed them well, rinsed them very well, and put them on top of shredded salted stuff to weigh everything down below the brine line. Works ok-ish as long as you donā€™t shake the jar too hard. I suppose putting them in the plastic mesh bag they came in would be an option, but I donā€™t want my pickles tasting of plastic.

Iā€™ve put rocks in a glass jar with a narrow enough diameter to slide inside the larger fermenting jarā€™s mouth. That weight works ok too, and itā€™s a bit easier to work with if you need to get to the contents repeatedly.

I havenā€™t gotten any fancy fermentation air lock gizmos. I will consider the possibilityā€¦

I wanted one, then decided I am too cheap to spring for something that expensive. My father bought a nice big crock, and apparently it didnā€™t go well. Iā€™m not actually sure what happened, but it was smelly and messy and my mother ā€œsuggestedā€ that he give it to me. So, I am now the proud owner of a fancy smancy crock sort of like this:

I am a lucky ducky (errrr, pair of turkeys).

The only down side is when the kitty drinks the water that makes the seal.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what kind of airlock gizmos youā€™ve been looking at. The kind used in homebrewing generally cost less than $2, plus maybe $1 for the grommet. Plus, I guess youā€™ll need to buy or borrow a 1/2 inch drill bit, which will be the biggest cost if you donā€™t already have one.

Hereā€™s images/links for the type of stuff I use for beer brewing - I imagine it should be applicable to other types of fermentation

2 Likes

those three part ones are great. easy to clean, cheap, ubiquitous. the single part, serpentine ones are a tad cheaper, but impossible to clean. the gold standard is a blowoff tube, but thatā€™s overkill for kraut :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea, the glass pebbles. Most of the time I use just a leave or chunk of what should ferment. But sometimes some more weight can be useful?

About airlocksā€¦ Iā€™m a ā€˜ritmicā€™ person. Putting the jars of fermenting stuff in the ā€˜pathā€™ when coming in, makes me, when walking in, open the jars, let some in and out. And when smelling ā€˜okā€™, put them in a colder place.
Same with ā€˜feedingā€™ of other stuff. In a ritme, when needed, or when used.
Typing along I think it is not easy to explain. Sorry for that.

But, for me, the bottom line is, Iā€™m not using airlocks for fermentation of greens or other really sour/salted things. Itā€™s not necessary, unless you keep the lids thigt. Only for stuff that will be harmed by germs in the air, like fresh cider like things, or some yeasts. Or for things wich really do not like oxygen.

1 Like

But why using a airlock with kraut?
Please enlighten me, it is a honest question.

eh, if you forget about your kraut with a tight lid it can get a little fizzy :slight_smile:

also, last year my neighbors let a lot of fruit fall in their yard, so there were fruit flies everywhere. so i had to tightly seal my fermentables, so i didnā€™t get dead flies in the cabbage.

1 Like