Fermenting

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I was looking at crocks, not the things that go on mason jars.

But shouldnā€™t you ferment kraut with a bit oxygen / not a thigh lid? And just not forget about it. :wink:
Indeed, brrā€¦ An exception should indeed be made about flies.
But normally, a jar with a loose lid should be / need to be enough. The salt and fermentation will keep most bad things away. In my opinion, itā€™s the idea of this kind of fermentation.

acter bacteria fermentation is anaerobic. oxidation can provide an amount of flavor complexity, but you can oxidize after the pH is to the level you want. and honestly the bring keeps oxidation to a low level.

but generally i just say fuck it, and every batch is different.

1 Like

Yes, that is true (the theory). (The gest) Only in bread I donā€™t except this kind of things. Exception again: unless experimenting. But normally each (sourdough /and or yeast) bread should be as intended.
The other ferment stuffā€¦ I totally agree.

(edit, thatā€™s not true, there is more fermenting stuff I also am anal with cleanliness, measurements, results. But thatā€™s not about cabbage or other greens or tea, or lemonade etc)

1 Like

I heard ā€œfancy fermentation air lock gizmosā€ and assumed we were talking about the homebrew style airlocks. The crock looks nice; definitely prettier than the cobbled together out of leftover plastic bits style equipment I generally work with

anyway, if you ever need a cheaper / bigger solution, homebrew shops have you covered

2 Likes

bakers percentages :smiley:
plus, if you knead by hand, taste your raw dough every time and memorize it, and use the exact same ingredients, you barely need to measure.

2 Likes

I taste, measure, memorise. Do believe my bread is what I (and not only me) expect to be, always, every time. :wink: Something Iā€™m happy with. Maybe thatā€™s the reason I love to experiment with other stuffā€¦
Maybe ā€˜measureā€™ is a thing I understand wrong in this context.
Btw Iā€™m a folder, more than kneading. But I expect thatā€™s nothing new to you, seeing your bread.

1 Like

Dude!!!

i have never met another folder, or at least someone that describes themselves that way, so i always just say knead. Gentle, gentle, gentle. stretch and fold, stretch and fold. i always think of damascus steel while making bread :smiley:

2 Likes

Huh. I had always just assumed that folding was a normal part of kneading, interspersed with a certain amount of HULK SMASH when it starts to resist

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. Stretch and fold, gently, rest, stretch and fold, rest, stretch and fold. And just seeing and feeling it develop.

1 Like

Kneading:

Folding:

punch down:

they all do different things to the end texture. i can talk at some length if anyone wants to know, but i think @TooGoodToCheck_ and @Stynx already know :smiley:

4 Likes

No, no, no, noo, good handled dough never resists.

Oh may, am I the only one thinking about some more of less funny analogies? (no, not thatā€¦ Just about drinking tea)

2 Likes

To be honest, I probably donā€™t know. Iā€™ve been winging it - basically I use recipes, but really havenā€™t done much research on the topic, and I havenā€™t ever really thought that much about how kneading or folding affect texture.

Punching down has always seemed like a way to keep the crazy big bubbles from getting into your end product. folding and kneading seemed basically equivalent

1 Like

results of gentle folding:

results of kneading:

results of punching down:

11 Likes

Itā€™s a pity I canā€™t give more than one like. :wink:
Or, a picture says more than thousands of words. (sometimes it is)

Because Iā€™m drinking it now and that has and will continue to have a detrimental effect on my reasoning due to the Northeastā€™s current Snowpocalyseageddongate, Iā€™d like to post that I currently have 22 21 20 liters of the finest handcrafted Chocolate Vanilla Stout and Double IPA waiting in the basement for my thirsty mitts.

Homebrewing: It Saves Lives.

6 Likes

I initially read that as a single beer, and I was pretty surprised that the chocolate/vanilla flavor was playing nicely with the hops of the IPA.

Much respect for attempting either of those. Chocolate beers in particular are the kind of thing you try early on in your home brewing adventures, and then again much much later when you figure you probably know what most of the things are that you messed up the first time

:smiley:

Cheers, mate! The IPA has become a favoriteā€“sometimes I play with the hops a little, Amarillo instead of Cascade, dry hopped with this instead of that, itā€™s my go-to for brewing. And Iā€™ve done it enough times that Iā€™m able to get a good brew despite consuming too much while brewing. Muscle (hiccup) memory, I guess.

And honestly, the stout wasnā€™t difficult, in fact, it was easier than an IPA given it only used (IIRC) two hops on the schedule. One goes in at the start of the boil, and the other was atā€¦20 minutes? Other than that, I putā€¦a bag of cacao nibs (donā€™t recall the amount, maybe 8-10 oz) into maybe one cup of gin and let them soak for about a week before pouring the whole mess into the secondary carboy. I did also add some lactose (itā€™s meant to be a ā€œmilkā€ stout), but I am now too drunk good looking to recall when that particular happened.

Sweet mudder of christ I do love me some beer.

Please note: The delicious brews appearing in the image above are no longer with us. A moment (hiccup) of silencia, Pour Favour.

I will now perform an interpretive dance to celebrate their passing.

10 Likes

And youā€™ll be posting a video here to share with us, yes?

4 Likes

the color and clarity is great on both of them, along with the amount of head for each style. i wish i could give you flavor notes, care to send over a sample case?

4 Likes