Fermenting

Yay! you mean. Time to doubled up the batch to even it out. I changed chili powder one time, and let’s say the new brand was about 4x hotter. Did a second mild batch and voila, mixed to perfection.

4 Likes

So… add more veg to the existing batch or do a new one and mix when they’re both done fermenting? Hmmm, I still have 2 big-ass daikons in the fridge…

3 Likes

Seattle Tilth looks great! Do they have a csa or co-op? We’re about 40 min. away by bus, but we’re going to learn more. Thx.

3 Likes

Depends how far into the ferment you are. I like daikon lightly pickled so I would be tempted to just add it, depending on how over salted your batch is. Safer would probably be to do a second batch that you rinse thoroughly and add to the first. Don’t forget to thin the brine in the first batch a little. It won’t be perfect but I always think it’s worth playing to try and figure something new out. Some folks would probably prefer to just start over.

Or just enjoy the first batch with your eight a day glasses of water.

Or use it to flavor congee, that takes some serious flavor profiles to liven up.

3 Likes

It’s on day 6. I think I’ll ferment the daikon separately and mix 'em together after the fact.

Thanks!

1 Like

Got wide mouthed jars (so my BB advertised lids would work :laughing: ) but it turns out I like them a lot more than all that because it’s way easier to work on kraut with them. Black lid is serano, blue lid is regular. (Local-ish IPAs because they like to be included and I don’t take beer photos often.)

The internet tells me I’ve been using too much salt. I took a nigh scientific approach so my salt wouldn’t end up mostly in one jar. There’s exactly 1.1 lbs (I usually measure in metric, I swear) of cabbage in each jar not counting the leaf I’m using to weigh each down. Don’t ask me how much salt because I did measure it in grams but then I made some brine to top it off with and I didn’t use all the brine so it’s a bit complicated. :sweat:

Now my hands are all sting-y because I used my bare hands to work with the serano peppers.

Yes, the jars are blue. It’s what my store had in wide mouthed jars fewer than 8 jars to a pack. :laughing: Now to go clean up the kitchen.

6 Likes

I had originally tried the kimchi yesterday. I just now tasted it again, and oddly enough, now it tastes FINE. A little salty, but not as overly salty as it tasted yesterday. In fact, it now tastes done, ready-to-eat, good-to-go! What the hey!? What a difference a day makes?

So I guess I’ll just be doing a separate batch of daikon for funsies!

3 Likes

Question time: The only reason I haven’t tried fermenting beets is because the internet says I have to boil them like potatoes before I can ferment them. I don’t know because boiling would destroy the lactobacillus, right? :sweat:

1 Like

I dunno about taking that advice - the internet has been known to be wrong on many occasions. :rolling_eyes:

I’ve fermented beets without cooking them beforehand. They worked out just fine. In fact, I have a batch of 'em bubbling right now!

3 Likes

Awesome, I’m salivating! It’s still in the high 80s in our house so my last batch has to mellow in the fridge for a bit.

My favorites with daikon are do chua and kakduji.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kkakdugi

2 Likes

I think for the moment, it’ll have to sit in the “Too Complicated” basket for a while. Pretty sure I could get some temperature stability with an esky full of water as a heat sink, but it’s an extra layer of aggro that I don’t need right now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to play with peltier cooling. I wish I could give some actual advice but maybe a small low-end wine fridge? I see one on Amazon which can get up to about 17C which may still be a little cold for fermenting. Also, being Amazon, I’m not sure if there’s an easy to find equivalent in your neck of the woods.

2 Likes

Almost certainly out of my price-range. :slight_smile:

I might be able to knock something up with an esky, a heat belt/pad, a timer, a thermometer and some water, so it’s not impossible. I’ve done something similar in the past for beer and it works well enough with a little bleach in the water and adding a couple liters or so water daily. It’s lot of extra hassle though for something that’s like 3 bucks a jar at Coles.

1 Like

Oh, jeez. I didn’t know an esky was a cooler. :sweat: I’m giving totally unnecessary advice. :laughing: :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

LOL. Soz. I should translate. :smiley: Esky (Aus) = Picnic Cooler (US) = Cool Box (UK) = Chully Bun (NZ).

No such thing in my case. And always useful for the audience. :smiley:

5 Likes

No, Seattle Tllth is all about helping educate people farm their own food. But Seattle Tilth DOES have edible plant sales and an annual harvest fair, in addition to their year-round classes.

3 Likes

This came the closest to what I find in restaurants:

1 Like

Thank you! They sound wonderful. I can’t wait to check out a class. :slight_smile:

The mission statement is to build an ecologically sound, economically viable and socially equitable food system. safeguard our natural resources while building an equitable and sustainable local food system.

Has that statement been interpreted to mean that people would farm their own food? Maybe their resources are currently too limited to address other features of food distribution equity, like unhoused people or local-only markets?

Either way, thank you for sharing about this awesome group!!

2 Likes

I’ve interpreted Tilth’s mission as such, but my idea of its mission was formed before the present millennium. I went to Seattle Tilth events a decade ago, and didn’t review its website until you mentioned it. It reads to me that you’re a more recent arrival to Seattle than I am, and I would not be surprised to find its mission evolving to meet the needs of a growing (pun intended) metropolis.

2 Likes

We are new here so the curiosity is definitley imported. We’re also apartment dwellers who want to support local food distribution networks.

3 Likes