Fictosexual man who married a hologram can no longer speak with wife, due to software glitch

The intended point was more about how their societally accepted cutoff as taught to them was a year or two younger than ours but that’s also a fraught topic.
It’s also, according to a newer reply, no longer true btw.

That if someone is getting cultural signals that being attracted to a 16 year old videogame(ish) character is okay, or rather isn’t getting signals that it’s bad, I can disagree with it but have a hard time faulting the individual.

I’m not saying it’s good or bad.
I’m saying I can give my personal impression but won’t go beyond that.
Which, unfortunately, comes across like some sort of semantic shiftiness, yeah.
This ain’t my first day on the internet.
But that’s not the intention.

As for cultural relativism, that’s a heck of a digression I’d like to go on but it’s also a digression.

I’m still unsure of the right way to deal with that as examples for the humanitarian case for military involvement are still stuck in my head because it’s one that seemed to sway or at least stymie left leaning people the most, in my experience.

I also know people in arranged marriages.

But that talk def isn’t applicable to this one lol.

The sad truth is… it’s hard to find a culture where people aren’t getting those signals. The sexualization of teenagers is sadly present just about everywhere. It’s so widespread that one can’t really associate it with any particular culture, so the difference is just how robust laws are to prevent people from acting on those ubiquitous social cues.

Of course, it’s also wrong for reasons completely unrelated to culture.

1 Like

True, but there’s a difference between it being treated as a mainstream idea vs either cultural undercurrents or them having to retreat to shadowy places to find others who agree.

I know a few people who married young because they were expected to.
I have a hard time faulting them personally.

However per your earlier comment, my impression of Japanese society is pretty outdated by now, and so on the point I was attempting to make, I was incorrect.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.