Fictosexual man who married a hologram can no longer speak with wife, due to software glitch

Originally published at: Fictosexual man who married a hologram can no longer speak with wife, due to software glitch | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Windows Error GIF

7 Likes

The guy knew his story about marrying his idea (form?) of Miku was getting a lot of press in the west (again) so he released a statement in english

Why I said ‘form’ and ‘idea’ is because of the “Multiple Miku Theory” in the vocaloid fanbase/community. It roughly described how a person would see a vocaloid is their own unique version of said vocaloid (like a rorschach test of sorts). That helps explains why vocaloid content makers cover a variety of lyrical topics and art/fashion styles overall which had also made it a playground for LGBTQIA creators. It also creates issues when describing what vocaloid and it’s community is (especially to western media outlets) because they are more or less picking up on how individuals see vocaloids instead of the overall environment where the content is being generated.

That’s why these articles about this particular guy have somewhat bristled vocaloid fans over the years. The media trying to paint how this guy see HIS Miku as how vocaloid fans see THEIR vocaloids.

Also, he invited 39 people to the wedding and not 40 so he could use the popular Miku number meme of “Mi” sounding like 3 in japanese and “Ku” sounding like 9 in japanese (which is commonly used in official and unofficial content/products/events).

16 Likes
11 Likes

24 Likes

he can no longer enjoy conversations with the character, as the company that developed the service terminated it in March 2020, saying the limited production model had run its course

Another sad personal story made worse by late-stage capitalism.

22 Likes

Yes and no. Gibson himself pointed out a few differences mainly about Miku’s somewhat crowdsourced nature (modified creative commons license under Crypton Future Media) as a plural versus singular nature and how users leaned against the anime aesthetic to get around the uncanny valley effect (CFM tried robots before and it didn’t go well).

The comparison to Sharon Apple is more apt though.

7 Likes

:musical_note:I’m going to buy me a dog,
Because I need a friend now.
I’m going to buy me a dog,
My girl, don’t love me no how, how.:musical_note:

– The Monkees (“I’m Going to Buy Me a Dog”)

1 Like

If this guy’s MikuWife takes over the Macross and tries to hypnotise an entire city worth of people I’m done.

2 Likes

If he’s happy, I’m happy for him.

15 Likes

The not so cute is the fact that Hatsune Miku character is a 16-year old girl.

4 Likes

Well he couldn’t very well marry a REAL 16-year-old girl—if he had she’d be a gross old woman of 20 now.

4 Likes

And he thought he had created an “unrealistic” marriage.

11 Likes

Came for this. Left satisfied.

2 Likes

I was slightly amazed I was the first person to post it

2 Likes

She’s an app with a humanoid form and persona. So not really the same as being a literal 16 year old girl.

7 Likes

Every relationship has its rough spots.

5 Likes

The not so cute is the fact that Hatsune Miku character is an imaginary 16-year old girl.

But its rare for a relationship to actually have software bugs.

3 Likes

:thinking:

giphy|nullxnull

And once again she’s always been software. Not a person. Maybe she has a persona of a 16-year-old, but by that logic you could say that every Republican man baby is also a literal child.

14 Likes

As someone who suffers from depression dating two or more people with anxiety / depression issues of their own, I strongly disagree with this. (We support each other, of course, but that does mean we don’t have bugs in our software!)

12 Likes