Meet Shudu, the world's first digital supermodel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/09/meet-shudu-the-worlds-first.html

1 Like

The best parts of everyone’s favorite dystopian stories are here! Happy days!

9 Likes

Yep, cause even more unrealistic standards of beauty is what we need right now.

9 Likes

I don’t know which part of this bothers me more. The white guy who is just creating a black model while erasing actual black women or the idea and these people get to redesign what they think beauty should be making it even more impossible and unattainable.

17 Likes

actually, I remember in the '90s another virtual model: KYOKO DATE DK96
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoko_Date
so, maybe this one is a little outdated, by now…

4 Likes

it screams DAZ3D which is a quick way to get 3d humanoids but there’s always that uncanny valley issue. even without watching the video i could tell it was a daz3d model. if the guy had actually modeled the character and not relied so heavily on automated software i would have been much more impressed and you would definitely be able to tell that it was something different.

2 Likes

I was going to say, there are several synthetic J-Pop artists (vocaloid) over the years who also do fashion stuff. Maybe not to this degree of realism or focus.

6 Likes

I found the uncanny valley effect to be less pronounced than I expected although it was still there, especially in the movement. That said, runway models move in a weird way anyways so maybe that’s not as big a deal. The more I think about it though I do wonder if the lack of a strong uncanny valley effect has more to do with my being a white, northern, north american male who hasn’t spent significant time with very dark skinned women of african descent. I expect if the “model” had been a white woman of western european descent I would have found it much more objectionable.

1 Like

Yeah, but this is the first “digital influencer.” That’s a completely different thing.

/s

2 Likes

Yup. Next there will be all-digital fashion shows with virtual clothing, another industry will be “disrupted,” and companies will save a lot of money (and increase profits since the price of the clothing will remain the same). In the end, another group of unemployed people will wonder what the hell happened before searching for all the new jobs they were assured this technology would bring.

4 Likes

com-optimize%20(8)

7 Likes

I think I would be more bothered if they weren’t allowed to define what beauty should be. Turns you, you have the right to do that too.

1 Like

5 Likes

2 Likes

She’s deep in the uncanny valley. Just like all the real supermodels, so there’s nothing new there.

2 Likes

Her eyes are almost as lifeless as Melania’s.

3 Likes

Tally Isham Lives!
#allmodelsmatter

The dictionary no longer distinguishes between, “literally”, and “virtually”. Something like this comes along, what exactly is she supposed to be modeling? Could be anything, I suppose, and it needn’t actually exist for sale.

Shit like this makes me wonder if anyone would notice when the matrix goes live.

1 Like

Haha, I’m having Second Life flashbacks here.

For sure some of those virtual clothing sellers must have had fashion shows.

2 Likes

I think that ‘instagram influencer’ is one of those industries where I’ll be OK with robots taking all the jobs.

2 Likes