Fidget Cube: clicky, twisty cubes for "mindful fidgeting"

It’s German. Much like English, thinking about it too hard just leads to unhappy places. I suppose I should just enjoy the fun in the languages.

3 Likes

Also, that reminds me that a lot of animals in German break down into some kind of something-bear something-dog or something-pig.

Raccoon: Wash-bear
Seal: Sea-dog
Porcupine: Snake-pig

I know English has it’s own, with the Manatee aka Sea Cow, and the Ant Lion. But we don’t seem to have so many pig-bear-dogs.

4 Likes

Regressing? No, why do you ask?

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty funny that English often uses latinized names for animals, while German just cobbles some shit together.

Rhino: Nashorn - Nose-Horn
Hippo: Nilpferd - Nile Horse
Hog: Wildschwein - Wild Pig

I have to correct you on the porcupine though: Its called Stachelschwein, which translates as needle-pig.

7 Likes

Yeah, I thought that seemed weird.

I was reading this flowchart

and managed to misread “spike-pig” as “snake-pig”. Should have spent more than half a second on that one.

I really do think “Flutter-mouse” is a better name than Bat though. Bat is a stupid name. At least Fluttermouse is descriptive of what it looks like and does.

5 Likes

That reminds me of this little text, which explored what English would look like if it constructed words the way German does

6 Likes

Ha! That’s a great graph. Schildkröte (it’s not a toad, damnit) is always a favorite. Nacktschnecke, thoug, is so obvious - it’s a snail without a shell, so it’s nude, right?

Edit about the bat: Fledermausmann is a pretty terrible superhero name though.

4 Likes

You owe me some beer and screewipes for that one.

12 Likes

I’d watch that over this BvS turd. Obiously, Bats has to be played by Arnie. Or Waltz, that would be interesting.

4 Likes

Are Nashorn and Nilpferd really that much weirder than rhinoceros (nose horn) and hippopotamus (river horse)?

Also…

• Turtle = Schildkröte (shield toad)
  • Guinea pig = Meerschweinchen (little sea pig)
  • Armadillo = Gürteltier (belt animal)
3 Likes

Don’t forget the famous Strauss operetta, Deflator Mouse

3 Likes

13 Likes

Memories!

I remember my dad doing this with a board he’d made with four of those mounted on it.

3 Likes

Go out and treat yo’ self! Make that childhood dream come true!

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be “asshole snake” and “sea assholesnake?”

ETA: Colour me skeptical that they can have 72,000 (plus whatever additional orders they get in the next six weeks) of these ready for Christmas, with production starting in November.

1 Like

O_o

1 Like

Yeah. They’re ‘Kickstarter veterans’ - 2 projects funded out of 4, and both of those were fairly small scale, not multi million projects. I look forward to a long saga with overseas manufacturing.

Imgur strikes again :wink:

2 Likes

You beat me to it! I watched that again a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

That one’s not too far off the mark, since “hippopotamus” means “river horse.”
(EDIT: @LearnedCoward beat me to it)

2 Likes