Fighting games before Street Fighter II were mostly awful

That’s one of the reasons I never got really into fighting games. As a programmer I’ve gotten very aware of bad interface design vs. good design that gets out of the way and lets you work. Fighting games have bad interfaces on purpose. That’s not fun to me. It feels like what TVtropes calls “fake difficulty”.

4 Likes

Moebius?
Windwalker?

6 Likes

I have been playing arcade and home video games since the late 70’s and never enjoyed fighting games until they went 3-D like with Tekken or Soul Edge. I did have Mortal Combat on Sega Genesis and I liked it mostly for shock value, which didn’t hold up much when I got the CD drive and a bunch of good JRPG games.

Not only that, but it’s becoming an overly narrow field of Brown is Realism: Grim Realistic Warfighter: Children Cussing Voicechat Overflow

3 Likes

A few thoughts:

• Yoshiki Okamoto designed SFII. He also designed Time Pilot. This makes me happy.
  • Swashbuckler was awesome. I haven’t spent the time to figure it out, but I can’t believe that Nidhogg wasn’t influenced by it.
  • Flying Warriors was a disappointment after reading all of the comics in Nintendo Power.
  • I fondly remember repeatedly running characters into walls in Double Dragon Mode B
  • Pit Fighter seemed awesome in the arcade. I guess it was an okay tech demo.
  • Wow, that game has way more depth than I ever thought, or bothered to dig into.

I thought it looked awesome until I actually played it.

1 Like

I never got far in this game! I remember playing its DOS demo on my IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz with an 8-bit SB ISA card!

I got to the very last room but never figured out what how to beat the friggin’ hadouken-throwing tree. It was the very last action before the end of the game, if I recall correctly. Oh well.

1 Like

#Time Pilot!!!

http://www.coinopspace.com/group/time-pilot

1 Like

I never got that far. LOL.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.