Street Fighter 6 might change fighting games forever

Originally published at: Street Fighter 6 might change fighting games forever | Boing Boing

Well, difficulty scaling is a better way to put it. The new input system will only have half of the moves available for players so it’s still being encouraged for players to eventually to use the tried and true old school inputs.

They’re not the only company trying this. I played both network test weekends for DNF Duel and that game uses an simplified input system for all players but tries to balance it with knowledge check gameplay (I have a difficult time getting into the game with how spammy things can get in it). I think it’s the same case for that Power Rangers game too (never played it). And Riot’s League Of Legends fighting game is supposedly is going to handle inputs the same.

But getting past the topic of controls. I think SF6 might end up being the most popular entry in decades. I had a hard time getting into 4 (played the first 2 versions) and I thought 5 was good but I didn’t try it until it was up for free for PSN members when it was in a significantly more polished shape. Capcom needs this game to be amazing out of the gate to get over the many post SF4 stumbles they had with their fighting franchises.

2 Likes

SFIV was the last I played. I loved the presentation and feel, but was never very good, and got frustrated when trying to learn some of the mechanics that were reliant on exploiting i-frames and similar.
They essentially legitimised mechanics that were traditionally bugs in the engine and only usable by those with the keenest reflexes.

That, and unlike the last fighting game I played to any kind of decent level, Mortal Kombat 2, the inputs for SFIV seemed very hit-and-miss, especially on a gamepad.

Instead of the very digital-input feel of MK’s special move system (back, back, X, etc.), SF has always relied on a more analogue system of half, three-quarter or even complete circles of the stick, which I found too often or not, didn’t trigger.

In MK, as long as I remembered the button presses, I could guarantee I could get a special move off, but SF became an uncertainty.

I know a lot of the above would be scoffed at by high-level players, but that’s the barrier to entry for me, and I’m assuming many others.

4 Likes

How might SF6 “change fighting games forever”? That’s a heck of a headline that’s not followed up at all in this post.

I am not into this genre and this video does not seem to have any fundamental differences from SF2 except for everything being a lot more lusciously-rendered, in a way that kind of really dips into the uncanny valley when the action pauses and the characters just move back and forth a little as the players wait for each other to decide to make the first move.

6 Likes

It was for me as well. I mastered MK2 to a high level, but despite putting more hours into SF2, I never got to quite the same point. Some might say that’s because MK2 is “less sophisticated” but I genuinely had a lot of difficulty with the stick rotation moves beyond the quarter-turns. I can count on one hand the number of Zangief spins that I ever landed (not counting while practicing the move in isolation). Certainly many people have no problem doing it, but my hands just don’t seem to move the way they expect.

2 Likes

Oh hey, it’s good to know I’m not all alone in this boat of people not able to execute the coolest moves.

2 Likes

Agreed, maybe I am missing something here, but the video was just like any other fighting game I have seem since 1990 but with more polygons.

2 Likes

Meh. If they really want to have something popular they need to add some of the features seen in that “Striking Vipers” episode of Black Mirror.

5 Likes

Stylistically, I much prefer the fighting games developed by Arc System Works, notably the Guilty Gear series and Dragonball FighterZ, based on the incredible modeling and animation work they put it to break the conventions of 3D modelling and animation to reproduce the artifacts of hand-drawn/cel-animated characters. (insert Brian Eno quote here)

I mean, look at this.

2 Likes

I’d never seen those before and all I’ve got is “whoa.”

Now, I’m only a casual gamer, but the first thing I thought of was “Jet Set Radio Future” on ultra-steroids, and I mean that as a huge compliment.

1 Like

Street Fighter has turned into a pay-to-play nightmare where you have to pay real money to unlock individual characters or go through a deliberately untenable grind.

Street fighter is going to alienate people alright but not because of complexity, but because of greed.

I’d love to see those guys collaborate with ex-Clover/Platinum people to make a new Viewtiful Joe.
That seems like it would fit their style perfectly.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that link. The video was really interesting .

Darn near every game seems to get hyped up as “it might change gaming forever!!!” these days and it is so very, very, wearisome. Especially considering that Capcom has dropped the ball so many times already now.

At least this blurb has something resembling actual gameplay footage instead of another freakin’ prerendered unplayable cutscene, ayoye. (Though I would be hard-pressed to tell it apart from SF4 or SF5.)

You’re right. SF6 does nothing new. Even the simplified control option has been tried out by Capcom over a decade again. (Tatsunoko vs Capcom reduced the buttons used and versions of Capcom vs SNK 2 offered single inputs as macros for special moves.) The headline is hyperbole, but Capcom would probably love for people to believe it’s true after how disappointing SF5 has apparently been.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.