Filming a video? Turn your phone!

I think the whole argument began with terrible portrait videos and the narrative of portrait=shit was quickly adopted by the masses. In reality, a video needs to be judged more in relationship to the subject, as many in this thread have already discussed, and that viewpoint is going to continue to grow. The professionals at desktop stations will continue to lament, but the average Joe is learning which orientation is going to work best for their subject and not be held to blanketing rules that dont make any sense to them personally.

3 Likes

You mean the average Joes and their laptops, too?
Itā€™s not just the pros who donā€™t use primarily the phones/tablets. While desktop use is admittedly dropping, most people I know are heavy laptop users.

This is great! Is there an explicit version? I heard lots of places where a 2-syllable expletive could be inserted for more emphasis.

However, there are some filmed movies that ā€“ prior to the age of snarky parkers ā€“ were printed on paper

##The Paper Print Film Collection at the Library of Congress

Most of the films featured in the American Memory presentations are from the Paper Print Collection of the Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division. Because the copyright law did not cover motion pictures until 1912, early film producers who desired protection for their work sent paper contact prints of their motion pictures to the U.S. Copyright Office at the Library of Congress. These paper prints were made using light-sensitive paper the same width and length as the film itself, and developed as though a still photograph. Some motion picture companies, such as the Edison Company and the Biograph Company, submitted entire motion picturesā€“frame by frameā€“as paper prints. Other producers submitted only illustrative sequences.

The Paper Print Collection contains more than 3,000 motion pictures. Most are American but many are from England, France, and Denmark. The extreme scarcity of early motion pictures makes these paper prints particularly valuable. In most instances they remain the only record of early films, providing a rare insight into America at the start of the twentieth century and the beginnings of the motion picture industry in America.

You keep saying this, but neglect to point out how this applies to portrait painting, portrait scultpture, portrait architecture, and other portrait arts. Or is it only video that has a biologically-require horizontalness?

11 Likes

That would mean the light sensor would take up more room in the camera, as it would have to have the extra sensor area thatā€™s only used part of the time. Thatā€™s room that could be use for such things as a slightly larger battery. Or you could just remember to turn the camera.

Or perhaps given enough time, we might evolve some sort compensatory mechanism. Like a neck. But I am not an evolutionary biologist.

4 Likes

Yeah, the irony is that web video used to be more diverse in its sizes and aspect ratios - plain old embedded Quicktime, for example, could have pretty arbitrary dimensions, and now that thereā€™s more diversity of viewing screens, itā€™s becoming more and more constrained towards mimicking television, while orientation information for the video mostly just gets ignored.

3 Likes

Why ā€œused to beā€? Does embedded Quicktime not still do this?

My monitor pivots, so it is no inconvenience to me to watch either horizontal or vertical video.

The folks you know boot up laptops just to watch a youtube clip or to check facebook?

Im talking about Mr and Mrs Joe Average, who dont go near the laptop much outside of netflix and tax season. I would be willing to bet the vast majority of youtube and facebook videos are watched on mobile devices.

Half of all facebook users never even log in on a desktop.

1 Like

Which is also why there are no ā€œportrait orientationā€ portraits, why pages are wider than they are tall, why thereā€™s no tradition of scroll paintings, no tall sculptures, smart phones are only designed to be held horizontally, etc.
Also, apparently it is going to change soon as given the changes in film and television aspect ratios over time, that must mean the distance between peopleā€™s eyes must have been changing over time already.

3 Likes

Woah, this threadā€™s giving me dĆ©ja vu.

I havenā€™t worked with it in quite a while, so Iā€™m not sure. I think itā€™s still there, but itā€™s not as easy to work with. Certainly, in terms of the most-used web video players, theyā€™re not supporting that.

My next monitor needs to be pivoting - I often find myself wanting to swivel it around. My current, failing monitor supports it on the technical level, but the physical support structure doesnā€™t.

Portraits, written pages, scroll paintings and sculptures arenā€™t moving images. There is no tradition of moving images being presented in a vertical orientation, except in specialized displays.

2 Likes

The difference is that those things are self-contained. If you are targeting preexisting hardware that favors some aspect ratios over others in practice, then it makes sense to take that into account.

1 Like

Compared to the traditions of portraits, written pages, scroll paintings and sculpture, thereā€™s practically no tradition of moving images being presented at all.

Which is why television and moving images have used the exact same aspect ratios since they were introduced, millenia ago.

2 Likes

Except for things like magic lanterns, etc. What you really mean is film doesnā€™t have a portrait tradition - but there are specific reasons why thatā€™s the case. E.g. the nature of its presentation (big screens), and that it was replicating the stage experience (and being shown in repurposed theatrical spaces), that filmmakers wanted to show landscapes, etc. None of those are inherent to our biology or represent the needs of modern digital video in all - or even most - circumstances.
Edit: Plus, nothing inherently differentiates still images and moving images in terms of how our eyes see them, as well.

2 Likes

Except thatā€™s not quite true. Itā€™s targeting one set of modern video screens, while ignoring other hardware permutations as the diversity of viewing surfaces - and the variety of their aspect ratios - increases.

1 Like

People I know who have smartphones use them at the same time as using their laptops, using their desktop PCs, watching TV, watching a movie, talking, eating, walking, driving, and quite possibly defecating.

1 Like

I have an exciting new solution to the problem: displays like YouTube get rid of their black bars, and replace them with images of shrubs*. Then for instance if I am foolish enough to video a giraffe in a way focused on the subject, it will still look like I had turned my camera to fill the view with irrelevant non-moving objects, the way god intended.

Since the main problems with this aspect ratio mono-mania have been pointed out, Iā€™m going to mention a personal nuisance, which is editing. Iā€™ve taken videos of little creatures like insects from above, only to find out after the fact they didnā€™t go the way I expected. If I wanted to present a video in landscape the way people demand, what I need to do is crop and rotate.

Well, youā€™d be surprised how many editing tools donā€™t give the option. Because we all know everything must start in landscape, and stay in landscape. Human eyes are located on a horizontal axis, so while rotating still images may be handled by every program ever, rotating videos is a special effect.

I know, I know, thatā€™s whining about something that rarely comes up. Nonetheless maybe it helps shore up the actual point, which is that assuming everyone should always do things one way because eyeballs and television ends up stifling for cases you didnā€™t think about.

*Also, if Chescaleigh were still unimpressed, she could sing ā€œI donā€™t want no shrubs.ā€

4 Likes