Filmmaker promises to change live-action Sonic the Hedgehog's widely-disliked design

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/03/filmmaker-promises-to-change-l.html

3 Likes

A friend in the VFX industry directed me to look at the director’s IMDB profile. Among the hodgepodge of credits is animation research and development on Where the Wild Things Are implying that he should know better than to make such a radical change this late in the game. That being said his credits are so wildly varying that it’s entirely possible that he has more money than sense.

Seriously. Look at the credits and dates. It’s wild.

4 Likes

It desperately needs a redo – if your movie pitched at Gen-Xers and kids and furries and Sonic fans is widely loathed by all of those people before it even comes out, you screwed up bad — but man, I feel sorry for all of the SFX artists who’re going into six months of crunch-time to fix what looks like a Sonic design cooked up in boardrooms by people who’ve never seen Sonic before.

13 Likes

Meanwhile, Hollywood ignores the cinematic promise of an Alex Kidd movie.

3 Likes

He should also publicly apolpgize to every single junior person on the team who told them the design was off, or who knew but was afraid to say anythiing. You just know it was nearly everyone.

I gotta believe the creature designs in that movie were purposefully grotesque to wring more complicated feeling out of a script that had about enough subtlety and story* to fill a cold medicine commercial. My guess is he wanted to make Sonic’s eyes even smaller and more human but we got what we got due to compromise with the ad department (the one time they were right.)

*The original book is a fucking poetic masterwork of visceral ambiguity, just…why would they rewrite?

5 Likes

I’m hoping that the film opens with Gangsta’s Paradise, that it plays to the end of the song, and then loops on repeat for the rest of the film, no matter what’s happening plot-wise.

9 Likes

Which is worse, the eye teeth or the mouth teeth? Or both?

2 Likes

I’ve seen multiple examples of taking the basicly same textural model, and changing the proportions of the body and the eyes and mouth to look more like the cartoon. They worked so much better.

Everyone involved in approving that design should be fucking fired.

I swear to god, why am I not hired by Hollywood to look over scripts and point out “this makes no sense” or look at art designs and say “this is utter shit”. Do jobs like this exist. How do I apply?

16 Likes

This movie should have been pitched as 100% CG from the start, something stylistically along the lines of Into The Spiderverse. Setting it in the “real” world was a mistake.

13 Likes

Somehow the eye teeth just doesn’t make this image anymore upsetting to me.

1 Like

You’re lucky. They’re plain nightmare fuel for me.

Oh boy, you wouldn’t have to tell me to get ready for a Space Harrier movie, because I already am. Best arcade game ever.

For reference, a starting point if you will.

20 Likes

I thought the where the wild things are creatures looked great. Which baffles me in this case. Maybe because the source in that case was slightly more realistic than the very cartoony sonic, so there was less interpretation to do.

5 Likes

It really should have been like that from the get go. We all know he is a cartoon from another dimension. There was literally no reason to humanify him like they did.

5 Likes

I’d be cool with a Golden Axe movie, mainly because it’d end up just being a fantasy movie.

2 Likes

If I had to guess, it’s probably “easier” to map that character design onto the motion-captured performance of an actor, since the proportions match, including facial expression.

But “easy” does not a good film make…

1 Like

You just want to see a movie with gnomes being kicked for treasure.

12 Likes

I thought that movie played out like a 90 minute commercial for the Orange phone network.

1 Like

9 Likes

A redesign is irrelevant.

This whole thing will most likely be just a pile of children’s movie clichés with flat jokey jokes. I’ll even call less than five minutes to a poop joke.

What I’m hoping for is that it goes so over the top bad with Carrey helming Robotnik that we get a cult classic and not a Hop meets Wreck it Ralph 2 knockoff.

4 Likes