Filmmaker promises to change live-action Sonic the Hedgehog's widely-disliked design

On their own, I think they are fantastically crafted movie creatures. But the injection of hyper-dark-crystal existential creepiness though their sad, dead, pinched eyes, and the way their greyed, dirty fur hung limply off them turned them into exhausted elder gods rather than proxies for energetic, wild-eyed temper tantrums. But then I’m always starting from a point of disdain for any conversion of hand-drawn media to 3D.

2 Likes

A fantasy movie? I’m sorry, no.

You’re forgetting that it would be re-worked so that it would be a time-traveling, wise-cracking dwarven warrior that met a bumbling tech firm ad executive with the personality of cardboard, and they would have to find a way to set aside their differences with the help of a lovable ride-able dragon and a dance number montage set to whatever song was number eight on the pop chart, six years ago.

7 Likes

So… Shrek?

4 Likes

Some people forget that Shrek started as a cartoon remake of Ladyhawke, with just a few notes from the studio.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I’d call the original kids’ book a Ladyhawke rip-off, but the movie is adapted pretty closely from it.
The_book

3 Likes

That’s a great book and full of jokes. Did you, um, happen to notice any of them?

Space Harrier over Altered Beast?

6 Likes

Jim Carrey playing a classic Jim Carrey-esque character is the only draw here at all. I can’t imagine they’ll get any other part of the movie right, but he’ll be a little bubble of entertainment all by his lonesome.

1 Like

There used to be someone here who frequently posted pictures of her pet hedgehog. Princess Penelope Prickles I believe was the name (the hedgehog’s, not the human’s)

1 Like

@nemomen, in the great thread: Post your Pet or animal Pics

Pricklepants

ETA: That may have come off snarkier than I intended, I just thought it was funny to be pedantically prickly about a local-celebrity hedgehog (although I am still genuinely a little raw about the othermichael extinction event…)

7 Likes

Correct you are. Thanks!

Looks like @nemomen has a webcomics too. https://princesspricklepants.com/2019/02/02/princess-pricklepants-presents-stoats-as-a-measurement-delightful-details/

3 Likes

And Game of Thrones was likewise a live action remake of Shrek.

22 Likes

They need to hire furries for films like this.

5 Likes

When was the last time you played Altered Beast? There’s absolutely nothing to it. Space Harrier is at least deeply weird.

More accurately, they need to actually listen to the furries they’ve already hired for films like this.

7 Likes

I miss Pricklepants.

5 Likes

@Mister44

If that kind of thing is what you’re going for, then clearly Dig Dug is the superior choice.
Blood and guts. Blood and guts everywhere.

3 Likes

I mean, it wouldn’t hurt, but I don’t think you need to be a furry to know what good animated character design is.

There is a meme making fun of that badly drawn Knuckles, and this Sonic face is on par with how badly drawn it is. It’s like a Chinese knock off by someone who hasn’t really seen what Sonic normally looks like.

I don’t recall there being treasure, though.

It’s only after staring at it for over five hours that the story really starts to reveal itself.

2 Likes