Filmmaker promises to change live-action Sonic the Hedgehog's widely-disliked design

Agreed but at least furries spend so much time dealing with the over all aesthetics of anthropomorphism they will more likely get something not looking that horrible. The Sonic they made the body looks like a guy wearing pajamas. The person that ok’ed that design had no gut reaction to the wrongness of it.

4 Likes

When the normal thing for kids was to go to the arcade and line up quarters. Dig Dug was my jam.

1 Like

Someone along the way surely said, “Hey, he’s the guy who worked on those great Blur Studio shorts! Just throw money at him, I’m sure he knows what he’s doing.”

2 Likes

I also liked the Golden Axe pitch at the end of the post. Something just hyper-violent and bloody.

I’m not using playability as a metric here. I’m talking about necromanced shapeshifters*!

*I guess therianthropes is more accurate.

So is the plot that Jim Carrey comes to Earth and wants to infect us all with measles?

They should have him reprise his alien getup from EGAE.

Even better:

4 Likes

“Filmmaker promises to change live-action Sonic…”

I’m gonna be pedantic here
The Sonic in this movie is literally NOT live-action.
Some of the movie is live-action but Sonic is certainly not.
You wouldn’t refer to Roger Rabbit as live-action, right?

I know the film’s p.r. and others are calling the film ‘live-action’ - but if you’re using ‘live-action’ to just refer to the movie in the headline here than I’d argue you’re wrong again.
For me at least, if a main character(s) in a movie is a cgi cartoon mixed with live-action stuff - then the movie is a “hybrid.” (again, re Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

Okay, pet peeve sniping of the day is over.

One reaction to that trailer was “Jim Carrey showing up just to prove he can still out-Lemony-Snickett Neil Patrick Harris.”

1 Like

Not really worth getting too emotional about but I would say both Sonic and Rodger Rabbit are both live action movies with a CG character inserted. Same with transformers movies. Same with Lord of the Rings and Gollum.

I’m sure there is an inverse example where everything is animated/cgi with one real human inserted. That one human doesn’t make the world/movie stop being animated.

But it’s time to weekend. I’m out of here. Have a great one.

2 Likes

My first thought was Snidely Whiplash. As for Harris, for sure Doogie wouldn’t be an anti-Vaxxer.

1 Like

The original picture looks like a furry in a sonic suit which is probably where the designers got their ideas from.

1 Like

Do you want a character model probably even more unsettling than movie Sonic? Because that’s how you get one.

2 Likes

I’d pay any amount of money to see a Phantasy Star movie.

The resemblance between early-GoT Jamie and Charming really is uncanny, though…

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t get too emotional about the “hybrid” movies being mis-labeled but it does bug me. Heck, some superhero/robot movies have more CGI animation than live-action these days - but for some reason the animation in those get called “special-effects.”

Though I totally do get pissy when people keep (kept) calling Disney’s upcoming fully CGI Lion King “live-action.” I mean, the styling may be photorealistic but it’s still totally a cartoon just like Toy Story with the same kind of animators, designers, and techs making the movie happen - and when Disney p.r. and cooperating-journos calling it “live-action,” it diminishes all their hard work and talent, imo.

But yeah. It’s Friday - time for liquor not online complaining.

3 Likes

Why do people agree to even make movies based on video games, again? This is pretty much what happens every single time. 26 years since the Super Mario Brothers Movie and nothing has been learned.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to ascertain whether they’re doing it 100% CGI or if they are compositing real footage and scenery in there too. The studio says it’s “an evolution of the filmmaking techniques” used in the 2016 version of The Jungle Book but who knows what that means.

1 Like

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sweded…

4 Likes

The studio says it’s “an evolution of the filmmaking techniques” used in the 2016 version of The Jungle Book but who knows what that means.

Marketing hooey.
Of course there’s gonna be new-tech and new-techniques - it’s called progress.
This thing is fully CGI - Its photorealism is stellar. But it’s all man made.

The main “new technique” I remember hearing of is VR stuff like VR camera work - and ‘sets’ that people with VR goggles can walk around in - but that seems like stuff built up just to help a live-action based director (like Favreau) work out stuff in their preferred way.
But it still doesn’t make the movie live-action.

One of the most bizarre takes on this whole malarky is from the director of photography for the new Detective Pikachu movie (which is getting some pretty great reviews); he bragged to Newsweek that their movie looks way better than Sonic because he ‘shot it on film instead of digital’ and even comments that digital was a poor choice to shoot the Sonic movie because digital cameras don’t do well with bright blues.

Does he… think that they’re actually… filming Sonic the Hedgehog running around?

3 Likes