Filmmaker seeks people with sleep paralysis experiences

I’m sensing a pattern here – looks like everyone in the world does FB… except those who experience sleep paralysis.

Hope FB doesn’t figure this out, or they’ll start data-mining our sleep states for some really annoying targeted advertising!

… I think you guys are saying the same thing…

2 Likes

hmmm… re-reading it, slowly and carefully, i see that you may be right. thanks!

1 Like

I hate the light switches that don’t work - first time that I’ve heard about them from anyone else, though!

This used to happen to me semi-frequently when I was a child, starting when I was around 6 until I was 14. I never saw any “spirits” or anything unusual, because the sun was always up when it happened. I figured I slept weird or something, but never sought to find an explanation for it…

I remember each episode so vividly. My eyes would snap open, and I’d be lying in bed on my back unable to move a single muscle. I couldn’t breathe, & I’d spend most of my energy willing my fingers to move (fixating on one body part helped to quell the panic…for a time). When I couldn’t do that I’d start panicking, & the second I convinced myself to scream for my parents, the paralysis would stop.

I can’t contact the director as I don’t have facebook, so vOv It’s nice to get this out in a BoingBoing comment though, LOL.

'Nuther vote for “Yes, I get sleep paralysis occasionally, but no, I don’t do facebook.”

1 Like

The light switches were mentioned as one of the key concepts for realising lucid dreaming in Linklater’s Brilliant film Waking Life.

While I am sure that the author is likely already aware, there was a pretty interesting share session on Reddit in January that’s good for a read… Ignore the top comment’s GIF - I am pretty sure it wasn’t a Transformer when this all started… http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1u83wz/victims_of_sleep_paralysis_what_was_your_runin

I’ve always paid attention to my dreams (I wrote here about the dreamscape map that I keep in my head), mostly because of what I used to call “bleed-through” - the intrusion of the sleeping mind into waking experience. It’s less frequent now, but still happens occasionally. I’ve come to believe that the “normal sleep cycle” is part and parcel of psychiatric neurotypicality (yeah, I made that up, but lately I’ve been into multisyllabic two-word phrases with some beat to them) - that is, the boundaries of what is “normal” leaves out something like 30% of the population. We’re all pretty surreal in our own skulls…sometimes it leaks out.

Do paranormal prowlers visit your home at night while you sleep? Men, women, and children everywhere awaken to discover that we are not alone. Who are these mysterious beings? What do they want? These are not hallucinations related to Awareness during Sleep Paralysis or ASP. Awareness during Sleep Paralysis occurs when the brain is in the transition state between dreaming sleep and waking up. The FIVE classic symptoms of Awareness during Sleep Paralysis eliminate ASP as a blanket explanation for paranormal home invasions.

http://robertgoerman.tripod.com/id28.html

Holy shit! That’s amazing! Tripod is still around!? I thought they died around the same time as Geocities.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.