Fine art as a reality competition show? Of course

Originally published at: Fine art as a reality competition show? Of course | Boing Boing

1 Like

We’ve had a couple over here in the Netherlands - Project Rembrandt and The New Vermeer, on which my wife is one of the two jury members.

8 Likes

horse race for creatives

Does anyone remember this one? Because not even IMDB does, apparently.

One guy who is a traditional scribbler, one guy who is an abstract and performance artist. Make it cross-country to your destination only with sales and barter of your own art. The one with the most money left over wins.

6 Likes

“It is IMPORTANT work.”

6 Likes

I really enjoyed Work of Art on Bravo, looking forward to this one.

1 Like

So how do you audition?

4 Likes

My ex wife auditioned for Project Runway. Like, 19 years ago. They had auditions at a few places around the country - she went to Houston for it. You bring examples of your work, talk to a panel about it, and about your artistic perspective on fashion.

Then they decide if you are talented and unstable enough to get in. She was talented enough, but did not make it in on the other metric.

I assume this is the same

10 Likes

You won’t laugh when you see my documentary, The Art of the Reality Competition Show.

4 Likes

I mean honestly, if reality shows existed during the renaissance when wealthy patrons financed fine art, I kind of think the Medici’s would’ve been all over this.

3 Likes

Bravo had one of these about 10 years ago called Work of Art that was actually very good!

2 Likes

This is not new. There was another one about a decade ago: Work of Art: The Next Great Artist - Wikipedia

2 Likes

No reality TV show can surprise me after

featuring a houseful of mother/son pairs who didn’t know they’d be housed together while looking to score.

2 Likes

I’ve been obsessed with Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the year for awhile now. From the U.K. They also do Portrait Artist of the Year, which I find less interesting, because of the discomfort factor of dealing with a live subject. Same premise though; a number of artists compete for a cash prize and a commission that will hang in a prestigious institution.

It focuses on the art and the technique rather than personality conflicts between contestants.

5 Likes

There was something approaching a renaissance paint-off in the early 1500. Sadly, it came to nought.

You won’t laugh when you see my documentary, A Century of Right-wing Humour.

3 Likes

If this is successful we can look forward to spinoffs like Junior Exhibit: Finding the Next Great Child Artist, or even Yecch: Finding the World’s Worst Artist. It works for cooking.

1 Like

Big points for sabotaging your competitors’ projects?

1 Like

All kidding aside, I wonder if this is a chance for so-called Outsider Art to have some mass exposure.

Eew.

6 Likes

I mean, that sounds infinitely more interesting than any of their other reality shows, to me.