Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/15/fire-at-notre-dame-cathedral-i.html

14 Likes

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

13 Likes

I am guessing it is the scaffolding and equipment as how do you burn stone?

2 Likes

OMG

This is HORRIBLE.

20 Likes

…eer the mister @MrDDyer will be the not happy

0 Likes

That’s some flammable scaffolding then…

Man, this hurts.

15 Likes

The walls and structure will probably be ok. The roof is not made of stone. And neither are the stained glass windows.

14 Likes

I was there two years ago, and there was significant amount of wooden beams in the upper tower structure. Probably the same for the roof.

22 Likes

Aw man. This is a terrible loss.

13 Likes

Well that sucks. I hope the hell this is not deliberate.

7 Likes

I was going to make a joke about Pope Ratburger’s pants being on display, but that looks pretty catastrophic.

5 Likes

I doubt it. Probably just another bog-standard incompetent builder screwing up. Unfortunately, this time it happened in a priceless landmark building.

See also:

27 Likes

This is heartbreaking. I’m glad my aunt isn’t alive to see this; as an art lover and staunch Catholic, this would have been a double blow.
eta: I have little hope of the spire surviving.

15 Likes

The architecture was amazing and the cathedral is irreplaceable part of Paris history. I’m nearly in tears now.
I don’t think it was deliberate - it’s really easy to accidentally start fire on wooden roofs of historical buildings, and it spreads ridiculously fast.

9 Likes

All the French soldiers and policeman walking around the cathedral every day with sub machine guns to prevent a act of terrorism and this, now this, an accident, fuck. Just fuck.

14 Likes

Was a hunchback seen leaving the scene?

23 Likes

I hope it does, what little I know of cathedral construction, if that goes it could take everything else with it.

1 Like

The spire just collapsed.

14 Likes

I wonder how much wood was from the 19th century, and how much dates back to the medieval period.

7 Likes

Spire is not looking good.

105852910-1555350291548gettyimages-1137422977

6 Likes