Fire in car burns for a minute without any of the seven nearby mechanics noticing

Evacuation was also an option I guess.

1 Like

Clear the building and call the fire brigade.
At the point they noticed the fire that was the safest option.
What this video shows is a lucky escape.

7 Likes

I’m imagining they aired it out and returned it to the customer like nothing happened - maybe not, but that’s what I’m imagining.

5 Likes

So it looked like whatever the 2nd guy was chucking on the flames did the trick much better than the fire extinguisher. Was it water, or sand? He seemed to be able to get more out of that small container than I expected – he kept heaving additional loads out long after I thought it would have been empty.

I was also surprised they waited as long as they did to bring the 2nd extinguisher. But all round – good work chaps, no one seemed to panic (though there were different shades of bravery).

2 Likes

I have been given to understand that fuel tanks are better protected than you might think and in fact rarely blow up.
But a tetrapak on wheels (thanks @knoxblox) whose upholstery may have ignited due to heat from below and outside the car (speculation, I know) probably has a fuel tank made of cardboard.

As somebody who has successfully welded the undercarriage of my truck I have to say that you should fully expect the carpet underlayment to burst in to flames if you weld the floor beneath it. This is just welding 101 stuff. Pull the carpet and underlayment back, stay away from fuel and electrical lines and weld away.

2 Likes

Welding safety protocols should always be followed.

9 Likes

this is part of the plot of my new heist novel, wherein a team (brought back together after some time apart, in prison, retired, “not doing that shit anymore”) tries to steal priceless jewelry, and the diversion they create is a row of welders who weld right in front of all sorts of suspicious activities that the team doesn’t want anyone to see.

5 Likes

This reminds me of when I was a teenager in the early 90’s. I brought my crappy 1980 Buick Regal whose ass was dragging on the ground into my cousin’s auto shop to have him put a new suspension on the rear end. I liked mechanical stuff and would hang out with him to shoot the shit while he was working on my car (probably to his annoyance as he was always super busy). I was under the lift with him while he was cutting off the existing suspension with a torch. Midway through I offhand said to him “Do you smell gas?”. I’ve never seen a person move so fast in shutting off his torch. Turns out my fuel line was leaking a couple feet away from where he was torching. “Let’s fix that first”. Good times.

9 Likes

But if they’re C of E, it’s a mitre…

4 Likes

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

3 Likes

That is the advice that you will get from every fire brigade in the UK. You only put a fire out if it is between you and the exit.

Not if the Brexiters get what they want. Yes, re-imperialisation will fuck everything up, but that is the very nature of Brexit, and it’s not like we did metric properly to start with.

5 Likes

6A2Z

6 Likes

That’s the advice you’ll get from every fire brigade, anywhere.

The fire brigade of the municipality I work for asks me from time to time to take a look at the site of a fire. My background is in civil/structural engineering, so I make a quick guesstimate on structural integrity or where to put provisional supports, stuff like that.

Standing in the odd smoking ruin has complemented my theoretical knowledge about fire safety regulations nicely.
Fire really is an interesting beast and often does not act as one would think. Truly an elemental force, I can see why some of our ancestors saw it as one of the base elements or some sort of deity.

5 Likes

“Here you go, all fixed up and ready to drive out!”
“But there’s no seats…”
“You don’t really need seats to drive, do you?”
“There’s no steering wheel either…”

2 Likes

One thing I do know is you don’t mig weld on a car, you tig weld. Throws too many sparks, but I imagine they did it to reduce time since it’s faster.

3 Likes

I know that the unit of length is spelt one way, and a device used for measurement is spelt the other, but I’m buggered if I can remember which is which.

1 Like

And to much of the world, spelt is a type of grain and not the past-tense of spell :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m dyslexic, so don’t take my spelling to necessarily be standard English :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Simple mnemonic aid: think of Rita.