🔫 Firearms: Everything you wanted to know (and the opportunity to ask if you don't)

From

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/8/f/8f80e46047810bf21ac6fb3a6f335771403776a3_1_690x387.jpg

Re:

Yes - it does! First off, it isn’t a scope, it is a red dot sight. A scope MAGNIFIES, and has the cross hairs you are probably familiar with.

A red dot projects a little glowing dot on the target in the view finder. Note I say in the view finder, this doesn’t project an actual dot on the target like a laser pointer/laser sight.

Scopes on pistols are rare, but you can find them, usually 4x or so, on people doing long range shooting with them especially hunting. Larger bore hand guns like a .357 mag or a .44 mag make good hunting tools inside of 50 or 100 yards.

But a red dot makes any gun way easier to shoot. Traditional iron sights you have to align the back sight and front sight both horizontally and vertically. Depending on how bad your eye sight is, this can get hard to do. It gives you a good advantage target shooting and makes aiming way more consistent… If I pull a shot left with the red dot, I know that it was ME who pulled it left. Vs with iron sights I might doubt that I had perfect sight alignment.

For rapid fire, red dots are #1. That is why the top shooters in the top classes of USPSA and other action sports use them (albeit smaller versions) on their open class pistols. The ability to shoot and reacquire a good sight picture is much easier with a red dot.

I have two red dots, on on the .44 and one on my .22lr which is set up for one handed Bullseye style shooting. Both are the Japanese made Ultradot Match Dot. These are the goto red dot for bullseye shooters, and I am a bit surprised they aren’t used for more sport. This one allows you to adjust not just the brightness (which they all do), but the size of the dot.

4 Likes