Firemen surprised to see jogger in aftermath of tornado

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/04/firemen-surprised-to-see-jogge.html

6 Likes

Can’t skip leg day.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Hey, that marathon’s not going to run itself.

More seriously, tornados are incredibly dangerous, and in places where people don’t want to pay for basements when they build houses, it’s amazing many more people don’t die when tornadoes hit.

5 Likes

If that reaction isn’t a gif yet, it will be soon.

gif

The hero we need.

18 Likes

27 Likes

Seriously tho: barring downed power lines, it’s the best time to go running there is. No cars, weather is calm, nice.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Awww! Remember when bits about that kind of societal breakdown were satire? We were so innocent.

6 Likes

So, aside from the deadly hazard, it’s pretty good?

This person is fuckwit who thinks, for whatever reason, nothing bad can happen to them. They’re willing to do something incredibly stupid and potentially put other people at risk because getting their morning run in happens to be more important than anyone else.

1 Like

Yeah, but just before we see the runner we see that guy standing there on his phone. What the hell is HE doing? Just because the runner’s motivation to be outside at the moment involves movement while phone-guy’s doesn’t; she gets the reaction?

5 Likes

I’m sorry, what? We don’t know anything about the video other than a runner passing by some emergency personnel. If she was putting others at risk, don’t you think the emergency personnel would’ve stopped her?

6 Likes

I mean, it’s a deadly hazard that’s far less likely to be traveling at 40mph, jump the curb and run you over. Downed power lines are typically visible, and usually pretty stationary. Avoiding them is as trivial as avoiding giant holes or brick walls.

4 Likes

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/stotting Stotting that’s what the jogger is doing. Or actually probably a more mundane attempt at signalling fitness for breeding.

2 Likes

Also, tornadoes can be a pretty localized event. A block over and everything looks fine. The next thing you know is you’re running by confused firemen.

6 Likes

We see a runner passing by emergency personnel who are in the middle of a disaster area hit by a tornado, in the dark.

Just to be clear, we’re talking about an area that had just been hit by a tornado, right? In the dark? We’ll have to agree about the inherent wisdom of taking a damn jog through that.

I think the fireman’s shock at someone doing something so foolish is pretty self-evident.

But to be clear to those who think my ire is misplaced: what I have a problem with is the selfishness of an act like this. What is the absolute best outcome for a person to jog through a disaster zone in the dark? They get their run in. That’s it. There’s absolutely no benefit to anyone other than that. Now, what’s the worst? They run into a power line? They get severely injured by unseen debris and require medical aid? The potential downside is exponentially worse than the absolute best case scenario, that I’m not a fan of someone who would say “fuck it, I need to jog this morning.”

1 Like

That’s such a Vandy/East Nashville thing to do…

… and she’s wearing a headlamp, so… it’s fine?

She’s on the sidewalk, not obstructing anything, and not hurting anybody. The thing about tornados is if emergency responders are out walking down the street, that means there’s no more tornado.

3 Likes

I guess if everything turned out ok, it wasn’t stupid.

The jogger is the one exercising, yet the surroundings are the things that look winded.

7 Likes