First images from China's probe that just landed on the dark side of the moon

It’s dark in the sense that when your Apollo or whatever flies over that side you lose radio contact with Earth.

3 Likes

Which makes Michael Collins badass.
Imagine sitting in that tin can, alone, as the human farthest from Earth, unable to call home, unable to talk to your friends on the moon. Every. Orbit.

13 Likes

How were Apollo CM and LM pilots chosen?
http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001736.html

1 Like

Some days I do, and it sounds wonderful.

6 Likes

That is interesting.

So that’s how they divvyed up the assignments after rejecting the Mercury 13.

God, I wish 45 would start a space race with China rather than a trade war. It would be way more productive.

9 Likes

Anti-platonic-realists rejoice!

2 Likes

The farside gets as much sunlight as the nearside, although swapped.

1 Like

That greatly expands the definition of the colloquialism, “where the sun don’t shine…”

:wink:

6 Likes

Yeash, there are some ornery pendulums pedants here today. At this point anyone who cares knows it’s called the Far Side. Dark Side is an informal colloquialism. Blame Pink Floyd if you like, but the term is older than that. And dark can be as relative as far. Animals sensitive to infrared light would not share human notions of dark.

There’s a robot probing the Moon’s butt-crack launched by a space agency that has an insignia that kinda resembles the United Federation of Planets’ flag/Starfleet delta! Some folks just can’t be satisfied.

9 Likes

Damn it - no cheese there either!

4 Likes

Don’t mess with the locals.
The-Clangers-010

9 Likes

What? I guess we’ll have to settle for Wensleydale or Stilton…

9 Likes

Wallace%20%26%20Gromit%20-%20Eating%20Cheese%20on%20the%20Moon

@PsiPhiGrrrl: Great minds think alike!

@Tamsin_Bailey: I misattributed that pic. Google corrected me. Now I need to check out Topo Gigio.

7 Likes

Someone on another forum asked why they even bothered with solar panels so yeah, irresponsible use of the term “dark side” has deleterious effects it seems.

1 Like

Introvert heaven.

2 Likes

…the only place left that Chinese nationals can go without being spied on.

3 Likes

We gotta beat China.

2 Likes

Red Leicester, Tilsit, Caerphilly, Bel Paese, Red Windsor, Stilton, Gruyere, Emmental, Norwegian Jarlsberger, Liptauer, Lancashire, White Stilton, Danish Blue, Double Gloucester, Cheshire, Dorset Blue Vinney, Brie, Roquefort, Pont-l’Eveque, Port Salut, Savoyard, Saint-Paulin, Carre-de-L’Est, Boursin, Bresse Bleu, Perle de Champagne, Camembert, Gouda, Edam, Caithness, Smoked Austrian, Japanese Sage Darby, Wensleydale, Greek Feta, Gorgonzola, Parmesan, Mozzarella, Pippo Creme, Danish Fimboe, Czech sheep’s milk, Venezuelan Beaver Cheese, Cheddar, Illchester, Limburger?

4 Likes

That’s his secret long-term plan, actually.
He just hasn’t got enough Nazis yet.
Historically, Nazis make the best rocket scientists.

3 Likes