First images from China's probe that just landed on the dark side of the moon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/03/first-images-from-chinas-pro.html

5 Likes

Huh. It doesn’t look dark at all.

6 Likes

Yeah, I call fake

2 Likes

It should more properly be called the backside of the Moon.

7 Likes

Or the far side.

8 Likes

Nope, no gluteal cleft there, so that’s no backside.

8 Likes

There’s no such thing as the dark side of the moon. Pink Floyd ruined all of us with their carefully planned stealth campaign of misinformation.

4 Likes

Conspiracy bunnies screeching it’s a fake filmed in the Gobi desert in 3…2…1…

2 Likes

Calling it “the dark side of the moon” makes you sound like the worst kind of ignorant anti-science fool.

It’s embarrassing, you should be embarrassed, I’m embarrassed for you, you’re making humanity look bad.

Embarrassing.

7 Likes

Every two weeks, it’s dark for two weeks.

2 Likes

You sound… disappointed

9 Likes

It’s because they keep doing it…

2 Likes

Carving a butt crack into the backside of the moon should be priority one once we’ve established ourselves as an interplanetary civilization.

12 Likes

Matter of fact, it’s all dark.

6 Likes

I see space dirt. What a shock.

If you going to call either the near/front side or the far/back side of the moon then it is the near side that should be properly called the dark side. The rotation of the moon provides the same amount of illumination to both sides, but no celestial body is in a position to block sunlight from reaching the far side while the Earth periodically blocks sunlight from reaching the near side. So the near side is dark a very small percentage of the time more than the far side.

Unless we factor in Earthlight, and then I’m out of my depth and we would probably need some one like Randall Munroe to figure it out.

6 Likes

Deeply disappointed that the Chang’e 4 team did not consult Jules Verne for better targeting of the landing site. This looks to be a very boring part of the far side - no mountains, no forests, no oceans, and no clouds. At this rate they’re not going to find any moon maidens either. :frowning:

Misty strips long and narrow, extending over one portion of the disc—probably cloud-scuds sustained by a highly rarefied atmosphere—permitted only a very dreamy idea of lofty mountains stretching beneath them in shapeless proportions, of smaller reliefs, circuses, yawning craters, and the other capricious, sponge-like formations so common on the visible side. Elsewhere the watchers became aware for an instant of immense spaces, certainly not arid plains, but seas, real oceans, vast and calm, reflecting from their placid depths the dazzling fireworks of the weird and wildly flashing meteors. Farther on, but very darkly as if behind a screen, shadowy continents revealed themselves, their surfaces flecked with black cloudy masses, probably great forests, with here and there a—

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16457/16457-h/16457-h.htm#CHAPTER_XV

9 Likes

“Spherical body has sides!”
Geometricians cry.

9 Likes

“There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact it’s all dark.”
– Lyrics, Pink Floyd : Dark Side of the Moon

5 Likes

to be fair, there is a dark side of the moon, just like there’s a dark side of the earth. it’s just a temporally constrained phenomenon. :cat:

4 Likes