First look at Honda's 2020 Super Cub motorcycle/scooter

My worry with electric scooters in the city would be theft for the batteries. Maybe I’m projecting my parts-scavenging tendencies too much onto others, but since there are people who modify ebikes to go well over 40mph, they’re may also be less scrupulous about the origin of all the batteries they need to run those ebikes.

4 Likes

The EV Cub concept has been knocking around for over a decade, I believe they are being rolled out in Japan next year.

I had a 90 with the pressed steel forks, they rusted from the inside and collapsed going over a pothole (£20 for replacement secondhand forks), I think Honda have used conventional forks for some time on the Innova which is a close relative.

2 Likes

I think they’re still missing out by not having an electric version. Plus not having an electric conversion kit like the ones Shanghai Customs make.

Toured Cambodia and Vietnam some years ago and these, called “Dream,” were everywhere, and were the aspiration of every kid. They propel the tuk-tuks and haul long steel girders attached to the passenger seat and an outrigger rear wheel.

2 Likes

Cute, but not as cool as my gogoro!

2 Likes

If you want cool and cute

5 Likes

Cute! I see your cute and raise you a Honda Dax, Honda Z50 (AKA Monkey Bike AKA Gorilla) and the Honda Motocompo (AKA Suitcase Bike).

All of these were more funky variations of the utilitarian Cub. The Dax and Gorilla sold well and are generally available second hand, and are still available new as Chinese licence built copies.

The Motocompo was designed to fold down into a suitcase sized block to be stored in the back of a car. As far as I know, these are pretty rare and aren’t available new.

2 Likes

The old Centaur was also a folder.

The super cub has too much horsepower to be considered a scooter in Maryland

3 Likes

I rode a Dax for a week, the owner had fitted a C90 engine, even so I totally overwhelmed it :slight_smile:

The Cezeta in the picture is an electric scooter, love the little luggage rack in front.

1 Like

I think the Dax and Gorilla are now available with 125 cc motors - Presumably the same engine as the 125 cub.

I had a spin on a no-brand Chinese scooter about 10 years back. It was a bit like a Vespa, but plastic like a christmas tree bauble. But despite it’s tacky build quality, I loved it! Instant torque from the get-go!

Electric motorcycles have been on sale here for the last year or two and they’re gradually taking off. I’m looking forward to when they’re available on the second hand market.

1 Like

Electric bikes have some brilliant torque, I test rode one five years ago, the throttle was like a switch, very heavy bike though. Bet they have improved.

1 Like

BUT:

3 Likes

Not pretty, but a little modding could go a long way.

4 Likes

Seems odd they’d introduce the 2020 edition after the 2021.

But 2020 is used repeatedly so …

Ha! That’s cool!

1 Like

Coke5

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to ride a scooter among the gigantic cars Americans drive

1 Like

Many cities are full of people running around on gas scooters. I don’t get why e-scooters haven’t replaced the gas ones. I see some, but not many.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.