Honda's Motocompacto is an electric briefcase-sized scooter

Originally published at: Honda's Motocompacto is an electric briefcase-sized scooter | Boing Boing

1 Like

Also built for clean, well-paved streets of cities in Japan, where I wouldn’t even think of using it in Tijuana. My partner’s Honeywell Dasher takes enough of a beating as it is.

5 Likes

Did Honda subcontract the design out to Aperture Science?

It’d be good for the Motocompo’s original task of shuttling from the car park to the airport. (But then what do you do with it?)

8 Likes

Perhaps the next step is to add intelligence to the gadget and leave it with the autonomy to return to the trunk of the car. But if she has a lot of autonomy, she will go away and enjoy life like Ferris Bueller.

3 Likes

We’re living in the 21st century. The suitcase should be the car. (Preferably a flying car.)

jetsons-suitcase-car

6 Likes

My mom uses an electric scooter that folds down to about that size-it weighs more, but has a proper seat and foot rest. We’ve used it through many airports, and it can be gate checked once I pull the battery.

3 Likes

I love that the original Motocompo was sold as an option on the Honda City car. The hatch was actually built to accommodate the scoot!

When are we getting our electric Honda e with a special hatch slot for the Motocompacto, Honda?

6 Likes

Old one looks better.

5 Likes

How big is your backpack? That does not look convenient to fit in even my largest.

4 Likes

If the tires rotated 90° it would make a great rolling cart to save your back in the airport/office. Bonus if a flat panel could be dropped on the upper side to hold your groceries or other bags.

1 Like

This is certainly cute, but I commute on a Turboant, which is 41"x18" folded, and 33lb. It goes 20mph easily and claims 30 miles on a charge (ideal conditions, etc… I get about 15 out of it.) IT also cost half as much. It’s not as tidy looking, but with such limited power and range, I’m wondering what’s in all that body bulk on this Honda.

I got passed riding my scooter by someone on a miniature electric motorcycle with tires like a Honda Ruckus’ rear wheel, and started to get annoyed as I would with all those new models riding the “am I a motorcycle?” line, but it was just so damned cute.

3 Likes

A place to sit. I was looking into using the obnoxious rental scooters when I realized that a trip of any distance meant a lot of standing on my poor overworked knees and hips.

1 Like

If necessary I can use my mom’s.

1 Like

Interesting, but not an improvement on the MYLO - three wheels work better for stability:

2 Likes

I like this. So much more compact than the Honeywell Dasher when it’s folded up. And much less work to do that. :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.