First new pigment of blue in 200 years finally goes on sale

Radiolab did a great piece on the color blue a few years back:

2 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

tobias

6 Likes

Looks like Gamblin has a little more info on the pigment:
" The discovery of the pigment was a bit of an accident when chemist Mas Subramanian and his students at Oregon State University (OSU) were exploring materials to aid in the manufacturing of electronics. Then graduate student Andrew E. Smith made a surprising discovery when heating a new formula: it turned blue. Professor Subramanian replied, “Luck favors the alert mind.” That was in 2009."

They also did a limited run of 164 37ml tubes, $75 each… sold 'em all. That’s a bit steep for me, and I’m willing to pay for cadmiums ($30ish for a tube that size, depending on color).

4 Likes

Also, since people have mentioned other shades of blue and are posting music…

1 Like

There’s also tricobalt, which produces an almost explosively sensual blue color. It’s to die fo.

1 Like
4 Likes

The idea of a standardized color “this is a particular blue” becomes completely arbitrary in both the digital and analogue reproduction and viewing spaces. Calibrating your monitor/s and all the steps of color management in a digital environment only really gives a digital artist a ‘best guess’ at what the lowest common denominator of screens will give their viewer.

A particular color pigment may be able to be replicated in the real world but even then the viewing perception will differ given the color temperature of the light sources in that particular environment.

The following IKB differs in not only saturation and lightness but hue as well:

1 Like

I second this – it is quite possibly my favorite Radiolab episode ever.

2 Likes

This ultra-bright paint by Stuart Semple is available to everyone except Anish Kapoor! (who won’t share his black!).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.