First new pigment of blue in 200 years finally goes on sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/24/first-new-pigment-of-blue-in-200-years-finally-goes-on-sale.html

1 Like

Nobody tell Anish Kapoor about this

12 Likes

4 Likes

“Named after its chemical components of yttrium, indium and manganese oxides…”

5 Likes

if they reformulated YInMn as MnYIn it should be yellow, right? (as per despicable me) [snickersnort]

8 Likes
3 Likes

So do we need to form the “YInMn Group”?

Kinda ruins the Arrested Development jokes…

1 Like

It looks very much like so-called Pencil Blue… a very popular color (at least in the late 70s, early 80s) that “legendary”, now defunct, Pintchik’s (in Brooklyn) would mix up for customers. “P” added perfume to their paints… something I can attest too.

Nigel It’s like, how much more blue could this be and the answer is none. None more blue.

4 Likes

What about Klein blue. Isn’t that from the 60s? I love the table below, but $20K for a Plexiglas box filled with powder is out of my budget.

6 Likes

Little earlier actually. IKB was something new, but at its core it uses lapis lazuli which has long been a source for blue pigments.

3 Likes

I had the same thought initially, but Klein Blue is a paint blend whose primary pigment is ultramarine, one of the oldest pigments. This is a new pigment that can be used to make a range of colors.

7 Likes

You owe me a Pepsi Blue.

3 Likes

New
Blew,
Yew say?

3 oz, is really pretty much pigment tho.

Not for a guy like Klein, but for me, pretty much.

3 Likes

It might take a while for the next release. Though, there are rumors it might be back this summer.

2 Likes

The good news, despite the misleading tag, is that its only $60/oz

1 Like
3 Likes

“In 1802, chemists discovered that you could commercially manufacture a great blue pigment using cobalt. For the last 200 years, that was basically it.”

Well… for inorganic pigments, anyway. One of my favorite go-to blues, phthalo blue, was developed in the 1930s. Not being a chemist, I don’t fully understand the difference between organic and inorganic pigments, beyond the whole based-on-carbon thing…

4 Likes

Is this shade of the color blue super intelligent?

6 Likes

I There, squirrel blue! I uh…don’t seem to have found the one that came out same-day in Angewandte Chemie or some other journal that explicitly avoided having blue in the title…can’t say it sounded so out there it had to be 200-year new, but it was as though the editors had been waiting for the occasion (if not price announcement!) Run perovskite PV backwards like 10.43133/2020/9017871 (open access) says (CsPbBr3 tho…) and you can have a couple’a glowy blues (see Fig. 5.)

Oh, found their 0day! 10.1002/anie.202015246 is Coal-tar dye-based cages and helicates.
All one needs to do is sneak the Pd(II) out without anyone noticing that’s how you coordinated Micheler’s ketone, methylene blue, rhodamine B and crystal violet (not shown,) and you might be under the $300/2oz. mark?!? (Fig. 4 for 8 fuschias and some violets. Swatches and body prints left to the reader.)

Huh. So are aloes blue from structural color or mostly creative lighting?

5 Likes