First trailer for Men in Black: International

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/20/the-first-men-in-black-interna.html

3 Likes

Saw that earlier this morning. Based on the trailer it looks like too much emphasis on the action and fighting.

7 Likes

It looks an awful lot like the original MiB formula. Which is not a bad thing imo. Should be a fun and entertaining popcorn flick.

I don’t go the the theater and choose MiB for culture and depth of character.

7 Likes

I don’t go much anymore. Partially cause $15 a ticket is enough to make me think I can wait for the $3 theater or DVD and mostly I end up spending that on films like They Shall Not Grow Old which are one night only things. I will say that was well worth the $30 for me and the kid who has done a fair amount of reading on WWI.

13 Likes

Yeah. Price makes a huge impact on in cinema watching.

Lucky for us we have a local place that is very reasonably priced…

6 Likes

It will be hard to top Tommy Lee Jones’s performance in the first MIB. Will Smith was excellent too. But really it was the way the movie was a love letter to the cranks and weirdos that made it so magical. Well, that and the excellent script with the highly memorable lines. It felt like the kind of movie that took a decade of staying up late and watching the advertisements while chatting with your conspiracy buff BFFs to write.

The sequels went right up their own butt which ruined the magic.

8 Likes

They had me at Tessa Thompson. And then they threw in that quick flirt with Emma. Plus, Chris Hemsworth.

Imma definitely see this

6 Likes

Or the library. Our library is basically 1/3 blockbuster video rental.

5 Likes

Do we now live in a world where the movie Men In Black is “hard to top” ? Just checking…

2 Likes

I wonder how the material’s underlying metaphor for immigration works outside the US?

4 Likes

Oh I use that too. Still there are some films I will pay a bit to see on something bigger than the laptop screen.

4 Likes

Do they have a standing requisition for retired Doctor Who Companions?

6 Likes

Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth for all the buddy comedy roles. Or just buddy roles, really.

3 Likes

I get that, but some films must be seen in theaters for full effect. Interstellar, for instance, really should be seen in IMAX. And you have NOT seen Rebel Without a Cause until you have seen it in Cinemascope ^^% Austin ^ we are nuts about film. That said, I do not get to theaters that much either.

3 Likes

I did see that on the big screen when there a restoration print release some 15+ years ago now.

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised that nobody has made a “serious” MIB -style movie yet (as compared to a rather over the top comedy).

1 Like

About the time I saw it at the Paramount i think. That knife fight was vertiginous on TV

2 Likes

I get the feeling the second movie probably would have been fine, but got diced in the editing room on account of 9/11. Then again, Spider-Man turned out okay.

The third movie had problems from the start, though.

The Adjustment Bureau, perhaps?

4 Likes

it was Vincent D’Onofrios bug-performance what made the movie truly special, and thats certainly hard to top, no matter the state of the current culture.

6 Likes

oR8ug9r

7 Likes