First trailer for Men in Black: International

Are they gonna finally use the frank black song? Prolly not. But hey they eventually played the sabbath iron man song in one of those films…

1 Like

I dunno, the entire premise of MIB II seemed off to me. First because it framed J & K’s relationship like they had a long history together even though they really only knew each other for like 2 days before K retired. Not to mention that they spent half of the first movie establishing how elite and professional the organization was, only to open the sequel by revealing everyone other than J was an incompetent idiot who was just there for comedy relief.

2 Likes

You mean The Laundry Files?

7 Likes

Yep! Like Laundry (one of my favorite series, along with the Merchant Prince) but with alien tech instead of Eldritch horrors. Laundry would make a great Netflix/Amazon property as well. Although UNIT /Torchwood has already done it to large extent.

4 Likes

I always thought that Men in Black was basically intended as a riff on other ‘90s government-alien-conspiracy franchises like The X-Files.

11 Likes

True, but not with Stross’s wry sense of humor.

I’d definitely watch that.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed Watchmen on heavy cable rotation in recent months. I kind of wish Netflix or Amazon would pick up Transmetropolitan; as I recall, Sir Patrick expressed an interest in playing Spider Jerusalem at one point. It would be a little close to home, however. Could we give the Smiler a dead blonde tribble wig?

1 Like

I love the MIB universe. I liked the cartoon and thought it had a strong opening and a rather infectious and appropriate theme, that was a required departure from the films. And it’s universe is vast, but it needs to grow.

It seems to me that there are always so many guns and with each iteration they seem to be used more often. I’m not saying get rid of them, but for an action movie, there are so many props that could be created to expand the story, and greater depth to humanity, and give options to the agents.

1 Like

Three-way fight between UNIT, Torchwood and MiB?

3 Likes

UNIT, Torchwood and MIB teaming up to take on Mr. Neutron.

2 Likes

No Will Smith, but still I’m going to watch it on the big screen.

Since you are talking about secret agencies that deal with fantastic threats …

I must admit that I miss Ron Perlman and Guillermo Totoro …

2 Likes

Do you miss Mr. Smith?

How the hell can one guy play Private Pyle, Wilson Fisk and Edgar the Bug? That is some range.

4 Likes

[Spoiler alert: crusty old dude warning]
So, I used to be a film aficionado. No,I’m not on Netflix, but I have The Seven Samurai and Casablanca in my DVD collection, and a bunch of others, like Moonstruck, Shakespeare in Love, The Cell, Alien2. I was a marvel comic fan in my day. I’ve stopped even wanting to watch the Marvel movies. Formula, Formula, Shiny gear, explosions and special effects. Once upon a time there was a story. What happened to the story? (I’ll tell ya! Late Stage Capitalism happened to the story. Nobody wanted to invest in a STORY any more. They want investment return. Blockbusters or nuthin’!) Probably there are still stories out there, somewhere, but I’m too tired to go looking, I’ll see if Black '47 fits my criteria. But MIB 3 (or is it four? I’ve lost count.) No. What was the advertisement that mentioned Rocky 15? That’s where we are headed.

tenor%20(3)

3 Likes

Conceptually, the Laundry Files intigues me, both because of the ‘eldritch horrors to supernatural pests’ elements as well as the sheer lunacy of how almost any government will mis-allocate funding.
I just don’t want the series to get a major blockbuster treatment until either Stross gets off of the “Sad Puppies” no-diversity-in-SF schtick, or dies. Just like how OS Card doesn’t deserve another dime of my money

hack snyders watchmen was shit! doesnt come near the GRAPHIC NOVEL. a violent fuck-feast with zero understandig of the source-material, just because it looks “cool”; only decent part was the origin-story of doc manhatten, and thats only because it repeated the GRAPHIC NOVEL beat for beat with the exact same framing-shots.

sorry about the rant, really, couldnt help myself and has nothing to do with you, but I truly HATE the movie!

and sir patrick is - as sad as it is - just too old now to play spider.

1 Like

Wait a minute. Since you seem to be opposed to OSC’s politics, I’m assuming you’re also opposed to the Sad/Rabid Puppies’ agenda. If so, then how you got the idea that Charlie Stross was on the Puppies’ side I can’t imagine. Not only is Stross about as ideologically opposed to the Puppies’ anti-diversity agenda as anyone can be, his personal blog is a major gathering place for science fiction/fantasy geekdom.

Here is one of Stross’s posts commenting on the Puppies.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/08/bad-puppies-no-awards.html

5 Likes

Agent ‘M’ ? Shout out to Michael Jackson? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes