Fish caught offshore from Fukushima hit markets in Japan today

The half-life of iodine-131 is 8 days; the trip across the Pacific alone takes 10. The ocean is immensely huge; 300 tons of radioactive water a day is literally a drop in the bucket. In other words, Your nori is fine. (Worry about the radiation you’re getting from coal plants instead.)

1 Like

The one good thing about radioactive material is that very small quantities can be detected very easily using relatively simple equipment/techniques. A laboratory set up to do low-level detection can see incredibly small quantities of radioactive material in a sample.
If one really wants to know, there are labs in the US that will analyze a sample for you – probably would cost $100 or so for a single sample (perhaps more if they need to perform some chemistry on it first) e.g. GEL labs Environmental Consultants – Chemical Analysis and Radiochemical Analysis - Environmental Consulting Firm > The GEL Group, Inc.

Not to be a pedant, but

Man, nobody reads anything any more.

1 Like

What’s truly sad about that is I worked for many years as a technical writer and I am the WORST about reading directions - even though I wrote tons of them.

I think there’s something to that, though. I like to think I’d make a good technical writer. Like a lot of us on this board, I value applying logic and order to a goal, as well as concision and clear communication. But I pretty much never read any directions unless I have to. Because my mind works in that way, it’s usually easy to intuit how a project should be put together. If it isn’t obvious, then it usually indicates a crap design. Feel me?

I’m pretty sure that the only people who expect users to RTFM are hopeless optimists and writers of command-line tools whose powers (and difficulty levels) are essentially indistinguishable from those of arcane druidic blood magic or appeals to the old gods from before the age of man.

2 Likes

Oh man oh man oh man do I ever. Whenever my job as a tech writer became crucial to the success of someone performing that job, I felt like it was a REALLY bad idea. Sadly, no matter how much I would beg and plead whenever a situation like that arose, no one would listen to me. So I learned to shut up and write good instructions. The last time I had to write something like that, I was instructing field installers how to completely dismantle and reassemble delicate electronics. It was a bad idea all the way around, but no one was going to get angry at the stupid programmers for hard coding a serial number into the system, which is what made the stupidity necessary - can’t send the whole stack of cards back to the factory for a swap out when one of those cards was hard coded into the program.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.