Fisher-Price's iconic toy telephone can now make phone calls

Originally published at: Fisher-Price's iconic toy telephone can now make phone calls | Boing Boing

6 Likes
8 Likes

It’s now one more thing in the house that has to be recharged.

3 Likes

I’d buy one in a heart beat except that I’m not sure I’d get sixty dollers worth of humor value out of it. And I already have a couple bluetooth sets that are collecting dust in a drawer…

3 Likes

what a time to be alive!

2 Likes

Was hoping that somebody has made an hack using a GSM module, some sensors and an Arduino.
Whatever, a nice prop…

1 Like

Looks like New Zealand got an advance release.

2 Likes

“The “Special Edition Chatter Telephone” is $60”
plus additional charges to your service plan…

Have to get them learning how to pair bluetooth devices early so they can help their parents.

1 Like

Wait, Why do they still make it with a dial? Isn’t that going to confuse kids?

Even a push-button version would probably seem like an archaic communication device to anyone under 40. Might as well play with Timmy the Telegraph.

4 Likes

Voice calls in general are archaic to younger people, so a text-based toy like a telegraph might actually be more relevant.

5 Likes

Good thing this didn’t happen in the US, otherwise the SWAT team would have busted down the door and shown the parent the business end of their toys.

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s marketed to the parents who grew up with it and not kids themselves.

It being Bluetooth means it can be disconnected so kids don’t accidentally call random people.

Just seems like another instance of the commodification of nostalgia to me.

3 Likes

Not looking into the utility of this device, I think the value would be in the product placement.

(Please, can someone surreptitiously place this onto the desk of “Individual 45”, and take a picture of him using it?)

3 Likes

You’re home alone in a life or death situation. You crawl toward the nearest phone. The FP phone. And you dial 911 as the smiling toy’s rolling eyes look up at you. Then you remember: the phone wasn’t paired to your cell’s bluetooth.

4 Likes

Could be worse. This was the “nuclear football” the secret service gave the prior president.

6 Likes

Many activities. Includes the Bunny Smells Turtle’s Ass activity. A classic.

1 Like

I am thinking more of the bathtub toy of this vintage.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.