Fist-sized Hercules Beetle pupa

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/29/fist-sized-hercules-beetle-pup.html

2 Likes

Horror bugs from planet nightmare!

1 Like

Nope.

Because a post requires 9 characters:

Nope, nope.

5 Likes

1 Like

This is a pupa… which means it gets bigger?

2 Likes

Please tell me this person has itty bitty Trumpian hands.

2 Likes

After all this talk about eating insects, now we can have steaks or fillets?

6 Likes

Awww! Can we keep 'em?

2 Likes

Forest Crayfish?

5 Likes

Shellfish and mollusks are the kinda of food that aliens always seem to feed visiting humans in sci-fi.

2 Likes

Now that’s a pupa to write home about.

1 Like

Huge bugs rock!!!

(As does my obvious erudition.)

1 Like

I thought pupae (?) were supposed to be immobile, and that I’d gotten it confused with the larval stage when I first saw this. I guess not.

Beetle pupae can usually do that little butt wiggle. (unlike a chrysalis) The moth pupae I’ve seen all seem to be able to do it as well.

Also, these things are SO COOL! (I want!)

2 Likes

It’s fist-sized herculus beetles all the way down, so I wouldn’t exactly call it a menagerie (I had such high hopes!). Wonderful creatures though!

Please don’t kill. Feel free to leave the house screaming.

When I was about eight, I saw a huge stag beetle, beaten to death by an ignorant grandmother with her shoe, cheered on by a bunch of children. Some of my respect for humanity got lost that day.

6 Likes
  1. A chrysalis can, too, wiggle. For a large part of its existence, anyway.
  2. I think “wanting” brought a lot of “exotic” wildlife to the brink of extinction, so I don’t, personally. But I’m happy to be able to admire those species which still are allowed to share this planet with us. Glorious.

Excuse me. I need to go wash my hands now. A lot. I may be gone the rest of the day.

So, um, how many worms do these emit when baptized?

That mantis had to be at least 108% hideous writhing by volume; and these things have a lot more volume involved.