Man shows the metamorphosis of his pet hercules beetle

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/18/man-shows-the-metamorphosis-of.html

7 Likes

30 Likes

sickening grub

He’s just going through bug puberty, and probably feels awkward enough already. No need to grub-shame.

44 Likes

Woohoo Woohoo!

12 Likes

This kinda made me hungry. Which is kinda disturbing. I will qualify this with “I lived in central China.” So please don’t judge me too harsh.

19 Likes

Oh come on. That’s not real. It’s obviously a Geiger creation.

11 Likes

The larval stage of the Hercules beetle will last one to two years, with the larva growing up to 4.5 inches in length and weighing more than 100 grams. Much of the life of the larva is spent tunneling through rotting wood.

21 Likes

Here’s a time lapse video of the transition from sickening grub to dapper nightmare-inducing beetle.

Fixed that for ya

8 Likes

I find that cool!

1 Like
3 Likes

Please tell me that the hand in that video belongs to a leprechaun or Donald Trump.

8 Likes

—pedantic copy editor say that you shouldn’t mix SI and customary units in the same sentence.

16 Likes

And I made it even worse than I found it :frowning:

Life cycle

The larval stage of the Hercules beetle will last one to two years, with the larva growing up to 4.5 inches (11 cm) in length and weighing more than 100 grams. Much of the life of the larva is spent tunneling through rotting wood. After the larval period, transformation into a pupa, and moulting, the beetle then emerges as an adult.[7]

4 Likes

And to think that 'round these parts some people are freaking out because a few cicadas are out a few seasons early.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t get my face too close to that.

1 Like

I find it pretty fascinating. If i were to see it in person i might be apprehensive about handling the larval stage but i still appreciate it’s life cycle and biology :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That video is a freebooted copy of the original by Hirofumi Kawano. You can find the original video on his youtube channel with the original audio (instead of the music) in his video titled 【HirokA】hercules Beetle lifetime +. You can also see the source videos from which he made this montage on his youtube channel in higher resolution.

18 Likes

From awesome grub to stunningly beautiful beetle.

FTFY.

8 Likes

Dapper as fuck.

Geiger never had the time to do any paintings; he was always too busy with his counting.

12 Likes