Five second rule conclusively debunked

Sir! Your heathen rear has been called out!

1 Like

I was at a Scout fundraiser last weekend. Someone brought a box of Timbits (basically, what you’d get if you took the donut dough that was cut out to make the holes in the donuts, rolled it into balls, and fried it alongside the donuts).

A gust of wind happened by and blew the half-empty box of Timbits off of the table, scattering them all over the ground. I did what any self-respecting former Scout should: I cried out “Five-second rule!” and there was instantly a wave of kids underfoot, and the Timbits vanished into thin air.

Yes, I know the five-second rule is bunk, but it’s fun bunk.

10 Likes

Oh, sure. But have they ever tested on those black rubber honey-combed restaurant kitchen mats? You would be amazed at how fast product can be snatched up with your tongs on the first bounce.

3 Likes

Not like Timbits can get less healthy really.

4 Likes

Some of those same countries have a very high mortality rate from diarrhea.

3 Likes

Quite possible, but wouldn’t dehydration be the main cause and other factors like sewage born infections etc.

I watched a very interesting documentary in the eighties called ‘Shocking Asia’, in some cultures being cremated and the ashes scattered into the river Ganges was the way they liked to go.

The narrator explained that wood was a precious commodity and sometimes if the family of the deceased was poor the body might only be lightly charred and thrown in.

The camera pans around to a blackened corpse snagged on a protruding rock or something in the river and then pans to the many children jumping off a jetty into the water not near but in sight of this.

Also explained if you or I being a westerner were to bathe in this river we would probably become very ill and the locals were used to the types of common bacteria present around them and rarely had a problem.

3 Likes

I am reminded of this: NY Times - Giving New Life to Vultures to Restore a Human Ritual of Death.

MUMBAI, India — Fifteen years after vultures disappeared from Mumbai’s skies, the Parsi community here intends to build two aviaries at one of its most sacred sites so that the giant scavengers can once again devour human corpses.

2 Likes

Put fingers in ears Nanananana don’t hear you.

5 Likes

I thought Snopes conclusively debunked this back in 2007…

2 Likes

as this is a textual medium maybe another of the wise monkey would work better? just an idea : P

1 Like

:-)) Do I really like you :wink:

1 Like

A friend of mine was roomies with my brother. Friend told me the they were standing in the kitchen eating pizza. When bit fell off my bro’s slice, he reached quickly and snatched it up and popped it in his mouth. He then followed the look of horror on friend’s face to floor where the bit of topping WAS STILL THERE. With a shrug, bro reaches down and grabs that bit and downs it too. Love my bro.

1 Like

1, I’m not sure anyone actually believed that bacteria would wait a whole 5 seconds before jumping onto the food

2, If I drop something tasty on the floor, hell yeah I’m going to pick it up

3, My toddler constantly eats floor food, I figure she’ll be ok. Mostly because I am really lazy cleaner. Heck, half the time I serve her food in bowl on the floor because it’s going to end up there anyway.

3 Likes

Also whole cooked sausages or strips of bacon – if they somehow hit the deck, it’s me and the dog going 50/50.

The five second rule has always just been an excuse for people to do what they are already going to do. I don’t think most people truly believe it, not really. All you have to do to find out is to drop some cookies in a puddle of wet poop and say, “Hey, it’s been less than 5 seconds, who wants cookies?”

3 Likes

Didn’t Mythbusters already debunk this like 10 years ago?

1 Like

I have Shocking Asia! And to make it more shockingly Asian, I have a Malaysian VCD. Yes, like all of the Mondo Cane derivatives it is exploitive, but there is some great footage and the melodramatic narration is a hoot. Unfortunately, my VCD omits the part with the “altars borne on human flesh” parade for some weird reason. It’s neat to see shots of this stuff from the 1970s before exotic travelogues became a ubiquitous thing.

But yeah, half charred corpses bobbing down the Ganges is pretty crazy to see, and apparently not at all uncommon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.