Watch - cheese infested with live maggots is a delicacy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/03/watch-cheese-infested-with-l.html

4 Likes

26 Likes

@TobinL; You beat me to it.

23 Likes

24 Likes

tumblr_ocs7hpg8GQ1s01qkyo1_400

17 Likes

That would go great with some Kopi Luwak.

6 Likes

I think i would be game to try it at the very least, because even if its awful i’d like to have that story to tell. Doubt i’d enjoy it but i am curious about the taste :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe i’m just a glutton for punishment.

I have tasted durian and when in Sweden i really wanted to try surströmming but didnt get the opportunity to do so

12 Likes

It’s not bad1), but
“A quaint custom, but one more honoured in the breach than in the observance”
does come to mind.

1) With the maggots removed. In Italy, years ago, part of the cheeseboard after a nice meal.

6 Likes

13 Likes

funny-gif-nope-dog-jumping1

16 Likes

HQymg5d

15 Likes

Yea, maggots and all… but did you notice just how dirty the hands holding the cheese are?

6 Likes

Angela%20Lansbury%20Ewww

12 Likes

11 Likes

Sisko%20nope

15 Likes

9 Likes

I’ve been watching weird cooking/eating shows for decades. Iron Chef in the original Japanese format was wild! Much more interesting than the dumb ‘arena’ showdown BS that seems to be every cooking show nowadays.

Once we happened upon a show where this old Italian guy shows you around Italy and tastes all the local delicacies. He hiked up a mountain with a shepherd once and they had a lunch which prominently featured a big round of this cheese. Lots of closeups of live maggots. Guy went into some detail describing the taste and texture. Nutty (fly shit tastes nutty? I think it is nutty to eat it but OK!) and exquisite was his take.

File this one next to the guy eating a half alive octopus. Ugh!

1 Like

Technically, they aren’t eating cheese, they are eating poop from maggots that ate cheese.

2 Likes

monster-face

11 Likes

Please have my share. I insist.

8 Likes