Fiverr's new recruiting ad promises to literally work you to death

Tried that once they said keep the change ended up with over exposure.

5 Likes

Ha! You want to see the average call for scores by chamber groups and festivals - not only are you expected to submit your score in competition with others, not only is it often only for exposure (and possibly a recording of the performance, should you be lucky enough to be selected), but you are expected to pay for the privilege!

This is fairly typical:

http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/5441

Others may indeed pay the “winner”, but normally at a rate well under the usual range of commission fees. These too tend to charge an entry fee, which is a nice scam - make the composers defray the costs of the commission.

This is fairly typical of this kind of call for scores. The page below doesn’t mention it, but the winning composition receives an AUD 1,000 award for a 6-10 minute piano trio, or approx. USD 750 at current exchange rates. The usual commission fees for this kind of work are in the range of USD 4,000 to 10,000.

http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/7960

There are competitions and calls for scores that dispense with entry fees and actually pay decent coin for the selected works, but the competitions above seem to be the norm. Of course, we composers can hardly be said to need the money - everyone knows that we can knock off a score overnight in an inspired trance, no work or training needed… (/s)

10 Likes

The productivity has to be impressive then …

1 Like

As it always has been; compare and contrast working-class health stats vs the wealthy.

Snakebites, heatstroke, falls, chainsaw mishaps; these are all daily hazards for me.

7 Likes

tI was hinking the exact same thing the other day when I stumbled across a max headroom sticker

2 Likes

I’ve had so many paper cuts. Those suckers sting, man. :wink:

6 Likes

Reinforcing slightly: the things that are currently distressing the American middle class? It’s primarily the thought that they might be subjected to the treatment that the American working class has been dealing with for centuries.

Wanna save yourselves? Stop quietly standing by while the peasants are slaughtered.

10 Likes

Lighten up - they only paid $5 for the concept - what do you expect?

But here’s the thing maybe you people aren’t appreciating:

Fiverr supplies the coffee.

2 Likes

Only for closers.

5 Likes

How do you feel about Amazon’s mechanical Turk service?

1 Like

It can be a terrific help when used as a truly ‘human computer’ – searching/labeling photos, doing missing-persons searches, and doing things that are hard for a computer to do but simple processing tasks for a person or people. When used to outsource copywriting or translation work, though, I’m not as happy with it.

7 Likes

Same deal with SpaceX; very carefully read their job openings.

Isn’t the correct reponse “I already have exposure. I also have lawyers. Pay up or they will be writing to you, and the legal fees will be added to the invoice.”?

The ad cost $5rs. Accuracy will cost extra.

I find I have to put on pants and go to a cafe to escape from dogs for a bit. Also, the cats, who have the odd notion that they are helpful designers.

5 Likes

What kind of coffee?

Yeah, I’m sure it is. We recently used them, after a regular freelancer didn’t really work out (we still paid them the agreed upon sum, of course). We paid a lot less for exactly the level of service we wanted, which was provided very professionally and diligently.

We might try local designers again when we’re more established and can take more risks (and spend more time vetting), but for what it is, Fiverr works well.

1 Like

I did outsourced translation work once. Would not recommend.

3 Likes

If the AC is off, I do it sans everything.

3 Likes

That does seem to be the kind of model that companies are trying to spread to other creative work too (see http://www.popsci.com/no-spec-work for one example of many) though not even Tokyopop has tried to make their victims themselves pay to submit pages (that they immediately lose ownership of even if they ‘lose’). Yet.

3 Likes