YouTuber hires people on Fiverr to paint his minis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/youtuber-hires-people-on-fiver.html

7 Likes

I wish Fiverr was better. Tried to hire a couple people to do some database stuff. One just kept sending me garbage files, the other was so busy that he took days just to respond to an email. I paid more than “five” for all the services, so was expecting a cut above trash.

Was disappointed.

I’m sure it’s less disappointing for things like illustration, writing or things that don’t require a specific education and you can see some results beforehand.

1 Like

Sure, all good news, except for giving permission to forget about the many artists that have to settle for professionally invalidating, ‘race-to-the-bottom’ pricing forced on them by a market whose brand promises cheap, non-commensurate fees right in the name.

10 Likes

Yeah. I’ve thought about putting myself on there but I’m not sure I wouldn’t actually end up losing money that way tbh.

1 Like

Any good game store probably also has people who will paint minis for a fee as well.

7 Likes

If you want quality work expect to pay properly. Of course Fivver is full of low quality work.

TBF, it was the database equivalent of “hey retype this memo”. Easy, but time consuming. Perfect for a service like Fiverr. My dude completely was out of his element, and didn’t have enough mastery of the English language to fix what he was doing wrong.

I would assume that the guy too busy to ever get back to me was better, but he could have been a database wizard and invented them, for all I knew. He couldn’t be arsed to reply to anything.

There’s plenty of seemingly better talent that has pricing that seems to be in line with the quality of the work. Try it with reasonable pricing, so you don’t lose $.

2 Likes

I used to love to paint miniatures, but my eyes and hands have gone to crap over the years, and I just can’t do it anymore.

I put myself on Fiverr from August 2012 through December 2012, offering conversions/recreations of logos from raster to vector as a way to force myself to practice and improve my familiarity with Adobe Illustrator.

I told myself that I could spend any money I made on frivolous things, and while I completed over 100 requests by the time I quit, I hadn’t made much money.

But I had a pretty good reputation by the time I stopped.

And it is – as @elk says – a “race-to-the-bottom” pricing for creative work. And people expect a WHOLE LOT for $5. Plus you really had to hustle to raise your seller level and keep it up there so you could even be found. I don’t know if that’s still the same way or not.

I just logged in for the first time since 2012, and saw I had a message from a year ago asking when I would come back :smile:

I see I’ve dropped back down to a level 2 seller. Oh well.

For anyone curious: Create a vector version of your existing logo by Pensketch | Fiverr

4 Likes

I can’t imagine getting someone else to paint one of minis; unless it was part of a quid pro quo challenge, where I got to paint one of their’s.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.