Fiverr's new recruiting ad promises to literally work you to death

Isn’t that ‘Avec serif’?

1 Like

These contests very rarely require transfer of rights - normally what they will require is some relatively short period of exclusivity (usually a year) or rights to first performance, which would be quite normal terms for a regular commission. Having said that, however, I have seen calls for scores go out where the performers reserve the right to use any of the submissions for free in perpetuum.

1 Like

Likewise, in truth.
I used Tokyopop as a past example of the worst of the worst practice, and maybe what others would like to get away with, if they could.

1 Like

Yeah. Good article, by the way. I’m disseminating it in some of my circles.

It’s certainly the best, clearest one I’ve found. Hope it’s useful to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this add real? When I look at it, I wonder who is supposed to be the target. The text may be suited to, for example, an advertisement for investment traders or anyone being highly paid for hard and risky job, but for someone being paid 5$?

The more I look at the add, the more puzzled I am.

1 Like

Letting the doers rather than the thinkers loose has cost VW a few billion dollars. Letting the thinkers rather than the doers loose has resulted in the Japanese lead in hybrid technology. So whoever wrote the ad seems a little ignorant of the industry.

4 Likes

Edible?

3 Likes

Take a look at the front page of their site.

Cheap work for people who want stuff cheap.

I remember being a broke college student and doing work for live PA people in exchange for food. It makes sense in college. Not so much once you’re past that phase of life. And some of these gigs? Things like “I’ll write you a jingle for $10.” Now the quality of a $10 jingle is going to be nowhere close to the quality of a $15,000 jingle. But it’s the fact that people will offer to do it for $10.

I mean, yeah, okay, Ms. Pretty Girl, good for you, getting $5 to hold a product. But you, Ms. Wordpress Expert, should not be building someone’s website for $40. You just shouldn’t.

2 Likes

Music, particularly the field of composition, is riddled with Dunning-Kruger effect.

3 Likes

I like The Shaggs, but they are the exact opposite of music. Everything I think music is, they’re not.

NRBQ liked them, so there’s something there, but it takes an NRBQ to find it.

:musical_note: If you need a jingle and you got ten bucks
Go somewhere else, 'cause I’m all out of fucks :musical_note:

6 Likes

The Shaggs are playing their first show in 18 years this June: http://pitchfork.com/news/71719-the-shaggs-to-play-first-show-in-over-15-years/

3 Likes

I’m really not sure whether to like this or not…

3 Likes

It looks like a decent non-bro festival if you’re in the area. Television, Wilco, Kurt Vile, comedy stage run by John Hodgman. Sounds like the kind of event where people don’t get wasted and shit all over the portapotty seats.

1 Like

Darn: I saw the URL was from Pitchfork, and was thrilled to think of the Shaggs and Wilco being part of the lineup, but no…

1 Like

???

Look again, they are in the lineup.

Solid Sound Festival takes place from June 23 to June 25 in North Adams, Massachusetts.

They’re not in the Pitchfork lineup. My family goes to Pitchfork every year. We’ve never been to North Adams, Massachusetts!

1 Like

Ohhh… I was only dimly aware that Pitchfork had a festival. I primarily associate it with overwrought trying-too-hard music reviews.

1 Like

Yeah, not a fan of the website, but the festival itself is actually quite good. Low key, attracts a real range of audience, and is not overwhelmingly drunk/drugged/violent/dangerous. Most importantly, their musical choices have been quite prescient. No duds in their lineup.

3 Likes