Flashback: The immortal Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

[Read the post]

2 Likes

i lived through the 70s and sometimes even i look back and wonder wtf was going on then.

6 Likes

Isn’t the saying that if you can remember the 70s, you weren’t there?

2 Likes

Hey - the guy is wearing a Royals Jersey. That was George Brett’s Rookie number.

1 Like

What an odd coincidence - I was just looking him up over the weekend!
I have really fond memories of watching the Gong Show back in the 70s.

5 Likes

As a kid, I enjoyed a lot of ‘grown up’ game/variety shows like this just as much as cartoons at the time. Adults acting zany with each other! This is how I thought adulthood was like when children weren’t around.

4 Likes

i thought that was about the 60s, but i can’t remember. :o)

3 Likes

No, the saying is “If the 70s aren’t indelibly and painfully seared like a brand into your brain, you weren’t there.”

6 Likes

The Gong Show and Match Game-- it musta been fun to get drunk while being paid to do a silly TV game show.

3 Likes

Along with the gong show, there was another…

Me too. There was a lot of zaniness on so many shows.

/ I had the hots for Fannie Flagg on Match Game.

3 Likes

Still do!

Thank you for reviving some fine Gene Gene memories.

But I think The Gong Show was primetime. It was in Milwaukee anyway.

I thought that was the 80’s. :confused:

3 Likes

“Mommy, why do those two girls give me a funny feeling in my pants?”

1 Like

In 1974 when I was 13 I was in a horrific car crash and spent much of that year and the next in bed recovering. The Gong Show (and Match Game and All My Children) made life tolerable. I LIVED to see Gene Gene the Dancing Machine.

Such pleasant memories of an otherwise lousy year. Thank you.

2 Likes

It’s even better when sped up 160%.

6 Likes

Hell yes! I know @pesco loves Gene too!

Sam Rockwell really is the only Hollywood actor who could’ve played Chuck Barris.

4 Likes

They’re showing a lot of Tattletales on Buzzr network, a show I didn’t previously know of. there’s a gamification aspect, but it boils down to hollywood couples telling the funny, unusual stories that have happened to them, as if at a dinner party or the like. Betty White, Shatner, and Jerry and Elaine Stiller are regulars. Just watching for the clothes and set is pretty entertaining.

They aired Gong Show re-runs in the afternoon on UHF in Detroit, which I watched daily the summer my aunt took care of me. When Gene Gene would appear, I would dance along with religious fervor.

2 Likes