Flatworms can either regrow their bodies or have sex, but not both

Originally published at: Flatworms can either regrow their bodies or have sex, but not both | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Tough call.

7 Likes

Story of my life.

8 Likes

Either one seems like too much work. Is a nice nap and maybe some cookies an option?

11 Likes

Well, it kind of depends on exactly which precise part of the body needs to be regrown, doesn’t it?
But if it’s a one-time binary choice, what’s the point of regrowing that particular part, anyway?

4 Likes

TIL I learned there’s a biological corollary to Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle.

3 Likes

So Flukeman probably doesn’t have any accounts on the dating apps?

1 Like

I have a vague recollection of “David” in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, whining and complaining about his love life, then observing that “Andy” was better off since he – by being a virgin – looked much younger than his 40 years.

1 Like

To clarify, it’s a choice at the evolutionary level, not a choice for the individual worm.

5 Likes

Plays into the discussion earlier of red heads and anesthesia. Evolution is a messy, jury-rigged process using whatever is lying around at the time. Makes it fascinatingly, disastrously, unpredictably chaotic. But that’s why it’s fun!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.